Keith

Default Outboard security conundrum

That's one of the good things about cable. Chain cutters have a hard time
getting through it. Now if they have cable cutters, that's another story.
Just buy the stuff down at West or wherever, and have them swage loops on
the ends with big crimp connectors.

--

Keith
__
wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:33:11 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

3/16" vinyl coated wire lanyard. Soft eyes on each end.

Sounds like a cleaner looking arrangment than my chain idea. What
about moisture and corrosion inside the vinyl? And how did you make up
the eyes on the ends ... I assume you had to strip the vinyl away
there and clamp it somehow?
I have some wire rope that I've never been able to cut with bolt
cutters, not sure what it's made of, looks like stainless. The
diameter is to large for this though. I'll ask around for something as
tough but smaller and vinyl covered.
Thanks,
Rick

William R. Watt

the problem sounds similar to securing a bicycle. those cable locks are
availble in various forms for bicycles.

I think I would not leave the motor on the transom while travelling but
put it inside the boat tied down and locked out of sight.

I guess everyone knows boat insurance is replacment value so a lost or
stolen motor means a new replacement.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

On Sat, 3/13/04, PhantMan wrote:
I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure the outboard to the
boat in an effort to discourage theft.

Thanks to everybody for the ideas. I'll be using a combination of
several.

Rick
(who can't wait for a thief to try those left handed threads! LoL!)
Steve

This is assuming that a thief is smart and adept enough to know which way to
turn a bolt or nut..

Trust me I have hired guys off the street that didn't know which way to turn
the wrench, especially if they had to reach underneath to reach the nut..

Not everyone is raised around tools. Especially a thief..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Peter

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:42:25 -0600, lid
wrote:

I'm about to buy a new 20" shaft outboard for use on several boats,
including skiffs with 15" transoms. I plan to use a T-H mini jacker
(see link) on the 15" transoms.
http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=23

I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure the outboard to the
boat in an effort to discourage theft. I have a thumbscrew lock that
would be enough if the outboard were mounted directly to the transom,
but the mini jacker is mounted with only four bolts that can be easily
removed so, with just the lock, I'd end up losing the motor as well
as the mini-jacker. And I don't want to mount the jacker permanently
because I want to be able use a 15" shaft motor now and then.

Right now I'm thinking of glassing a lifting ring to the inside
transom and just chaining the motor to it, but there ought to be a
better way (my present lifting rings are thru bolted and will come off
as easily as the bracket).

I know I can't prevent the thing being stolen by somebody who's wants
it bad enough. But I would at least like 'em to work a little for it.

Anybody have a simple and inexpensive idea?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

We painted ours with the leftovers from five or six different dayglo
spray cans.

Stands out like a dogs balls now - no self respecting thief would be
seen dead with it - and there's now way they could ever sell it.

Well, you did ask for cheap solution.

Peter

www.oceanodyssey.net
"Do not measure your life by the number of breaths you take,
Rather by the number of times life just takes your breath away"
Steve

I generally do the same thing with my loose gear stored on deck. Like boat
hooks, spare anchor and I once painted my outboard international orange.

I tell ya! and international orange anchor really is more visiable on the
water.. (0r the deck of someone elses boat)..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Keith

Yea, but somebody looking for Peter Max originals might take a fancy to it!
;-)

--

Keith
__
wrote:

[...]

Sal's Dad

We painted ours with the leftovers from five or six different dayglo
spray cans.

Stands out like a dogs balls now - no self respecting thief would be
seen dead with it - and there's now way they could ever sell it.

Well, you did ask for cheap solution.

I, too, use the special anti-theft paint. Also, etch ID info in several
clearly visible locations. On my latest motor, I engraved "STOLEN FROM
phone #, city state"

If you're worried about appearance, you can paint the motor to match your
boat(s). Looks really sharp.