posted to rec.boats.building
Bob

Default OT- caution, somewhat political... was New Found Metals will sue me if I tell my

Dane wrote:
I think you should still try to get a refund via your credit card. I'm
quite certain, living in Denmark, that it would be possible to do here.
No matter if you succeed or not, getting that refund, you should make a
website to get the word out. It cannot be slander when you tell your
story. You have their emails to back it up. The truth cannot be
slander.

Hi:

I gave the credit card refund optionn lots of thought but in the end I
had to make a bottom line decision. The cut-out deminsion left by my
old ports ar nearly identical to the cut-out deminsions needed for the
Newfound Metals ports. the only other ports that come close to size and
strength are Spartan ports made in Maine, USA. Unfortunalty the Spartan
ports are one inch shorter. This means that I would need to get the
grinder out, tapper the fiberglass area, and build up with epoxy and
glass. The short story is........... I would rather fix the two factory
problems with the NFM ports siting on my living room floor than muck
about with the epoxy build up. Its, simply faster to keep the NFM
ports.
There was a time in my life I would have driven all night an thrown the
ports through the NFM's window and included a big FU spraypainted on
their building. I guess with age comes judgment.

What I am absolutly frustrated about is the fact NFM says my complaint
about the two production problems are not true. About the emails......
I am now realizing that most people must think emails messages simply
disapear after the send button is clicked. guess they do not realize
that email provide an excellent record.
Bob.

posted to rec.boats.building
Dane

Bob wrote:
Dane wrote:
[...]

Very true, Bob

And you should definately use that record to get the best out of it.
Post this story as many places you can, with the emails as back up of
your story, perhaps even make a site of its own. And make references to
that site whereever you go. Maybe you didn't get a 100% product, but it
will help others, and maybe, just, maybe, NFM will pull their shyte
together.

Dane wrote:
Very true, Bob

And you should definately use that record to get the best out of it.
Post this story as many places you can, with the emails as back up of
your story, perhaps even make a site of its own. And make references to
that site whereever you go. Maybe you didn't get a 100% product, but it
will help others, and maybe, just, maybe, NFM will pull their shyte
together.

Hi Dane:
Thanks you for the advice and support. I made this same post at
alt.sailing.asa and recieved nothing but a bunch of one liner put
downs. I just wanted to give folks a heads up in hopes their port
projects would be more productive. As far as the web site..... thats a
bit out of my skill level.
HOpe your day goes well.
Bob

posted to rec.boats.building
Ian Malcolm

Bob wrote:
Dane wrote:

Very true, Bob

And you should definately use that record to get the best out of it.
Post this story as many places you can, with the emails as back up of
your story, perhaps even make a site of its own. And make references to
that site whereever you go. Maybe you didn't get a 100% product, but it
will help others, and maybe, just, maybe, NFM will pull their shyte
together.

Hi Dane:
Thanks you for the advice and support. I made this same post at
alt.sailing.asa and recieved nothing but a bunch of one liner put
downs. I just wanted to give folks a heads up in hopes their port
projects would be more productive. As far as the web site..... thats a
bit out of my skill level.
HOpe your day goes well.
Bob

Web sites aren't that hard to do. If I've dug up the right info, I
belive *your* ISP offers 10 megabytes of webspace included with your
account anyway. Domain name registration (to redirect to your personal
webspace) ia apparently $15 per domain name per year. I wont suggest
what name to take incase NFM are keeping an eye on this. Creating the
site is not as tough as you might think. I belive you use the mozilla
package, if so, Mozilla Composer (on the Window menu) is easy to use and
can handle anything you would need for this site.

I belive your portlights should be to ISO standard 12216 (Windows,
portlights, hatches, deadlights and doors). Trouble is, ANSI want
chunks of cash for this atandards document but if you read the following:

http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/ebb/tech_9.html
Running a tight ship

Andrew Blyth and Tom Nighy review RCD requirements for cockpits,
windows, hatches and doors.

then download:

http://www.transport-canada.com/marinesafety/rsqa/csa2001regrefsite/info/FVSCSE.pdf

and search that document for "hose test" you will find a description of
what your hatch should be able to withstand.

The water jet shall be a dense thin water jet delivering a flow of at
least 10 l/min, aiming everywhere in an area located within 0,05 m
each side of the periphery of the appliance
(see Figures D.1 and D.2).
[figures here showing method of testing with the hose nozzle 2 metres
from the portlight or hatch]
NOTE This jet is normally attained when connecting a garden hose with
an adjustable nozzle to a tap, the static pressure of which, when the
tap is closed, is 200 kPa.
Spraying shall continue for at least 3 min. After this duration, the
ingress of water shall not exceed 0,05 litres.

'Fill it with water and see if it drips' - I dont think so ;-)

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.

Bob wrote:
Hi Dane:
Thanks you for the advice and support. I made this same post at
alt.sailing.asa and recieved nothing but a bunch of one liner put
downs. I just wanted to give folks a heads up in hopes their port
projects would be more productive. As far as the web site..... thats a
bit out of my skill level.
HOpe your day goes well.
Bob

Don't worry, some folks are like that

About the website. I know what Ian suggest seems difficult to the
newbie (I only made a website myself around a year ago, I thought it
was very complex to think of at the beggining, and I'm a journo, lol).
Anyways, it doesn't need to be fancy at all, basically just text.

If you're on a mac, you could try out rapidweaver or some other sort of
"website-maker", and simply type in the text. Then upload it the way
your ISP wants it to be uploaded.

About using their name and so forth - well, of course you should.
That's the point.

Also, about the website, in RapidWeaver (and I'd like to think that you
could do that in any such programme), you can put in keywords for the
search robots (think google) to find. "service" "New Found Metals"
"portholes" (and any other product they have - even their product
numbers), that way it's more likely to hit home with people searching
for their stuff).

You have a splendid day and weekend too :-)

Andre

posted to rec.boats.building

Default New Found Metals will sue me if I tell my

You are a whinning bitch! Shut UP!

"Bob" wrote in news:1139455472.473287.251200
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Hello All:

I am told there are two sides to every story. My story started
September 6, 2005 when I placed a special order for two 7x15 ss ports
from NFM. What made them so special? I asked for the 10 mm glass.
Little did I know that NFM had never installed 10 mm glass in a 7x15
port. Five months later my ports are now in my living room. And what a
story.

I received my ports for the first time on January 17, 2006. I did have
the option to express mail the ports from China at an additional $600.
I declined and took the cheaper two month shipping option which
eventually turned into five months. When I opened the box and looked at
my gleaming beauties I noticed two problems.

First the port gasket sealed a consistent 3/8" around the main frame
except in the corners where the gaskets deformed making the tight 90
degree turn in the corner. This created only a hairline contact seal. I
did as NFM recommended and tightened all the dogs and two adjusting
bolts. Still had hairline contact between the gasket and mainframe
seat. Why? The gasket is deformed and does not match the gasket seat.

My second problem was the holes on the main frame where the machine
screws pass through to thread into the trim ring were off center. I
could not bolt the trim ring to the main frame because 4 of the 8
machine screws would not pass through the off center holes.

I took pictures and returned to NFM. Carli of NFM looked at the ports
and poured water in the closed ports as a hydro-test. She says the
ports are in perfect order because they did not let standing water leak
over night. The ports were returned to me and I got them on February 6,
2006 exactly five months since my order. I inspected my ports. They
still have the same two problems. This is a classic he said she
said...............but it gets better!

Below is part of an email I sent to NFM a few days ago:

"Dear Carli:
...would you please forward this message to the owner of NFM. I believe
I may have met him in 1980 when I was in PT. I also want to give the
owner an opportunity to respond to my concern before I document this
five month experience on several Internet discussion boards. I will
start with
rec.boats.cruising
rec.boats.building
and a new one called BadBoatBiz

Of course there are several owner groups that accept posts also. I will
be pleased to forward any post I make to NFM if you care to respond to
any. Actually it may make for an interesting dialogue. At this point my
recommendation in less than 10 words is:
friendly staff..... abysmal workmanship.............and a product best
left sitting at the boat show. Do not waste five months and $600 for
these two mediocre ports...."

The above is only part of the original message. I omitted parts of the
original message because it describes the two problems my ports have in
greater detail. What follows is the response I got from NFM today:

From: "New Found Metals"
To: "'Chris'"
Subject: 10mm 7x15 Stainless Ports
"Dear Chris,
We have examined the portlights, specifically the areas that concerned
you: gasket seal and bolt line-up. Neither area proved to be
defective, contrary to your statements. What you have are heavy duty,
sealing, ocean ready port windows.
Both the gasket on the ports and the additional gasket you requested
will form a tight seal and function properly.
We have offered you solutions which have included refunding you for the
portlights (contrary to our no return policy on special orders). You
chose to take the ports back with additional gasket materials.

We do not appreciate the threatening language of your emails. We will
not tolerate slanderous publications and, if necessary, will pursue
legal action if slander is found.

Regards,
Carli
New Found Metals, Inc."

Alright everyone........................... what do you think? What
should I do? Did I use "...threatening language..." in my email?

Chris
AKA Bob

After all these years, I finally found a boat for Dave! [email protected] General 58 January 23rd 06 10:32 PM
Funniest Thread! Capt. Rob ASA 72 January 21st 06 04:01 AM
Sailor Found Dead Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 6th 05 11:33 AM
Found my next boat... DSK ASA 16 November 16th 05 11:56 AM