brad

Default Will epoxy cure in Low Temperature

Will epoxy cure at temperatures as low as 40 F.
Jim Conlin

Some, for example WEST 105/205, are claimed to cure (eventually) at 40 F.
Most vendors will tell you their product's temp. range. I'd ask the vendor's
tech support whether cure temp affects the strength of the finished
product. It's prudent to try it out in a thin film on a scap before making
a mess on your boat that won't kick off 'til spring.

brad wrote:

Will epoxy cure at temperatures as low as 40 F.

Meindert Sprang

"brad" wrote in message
om...
Will epoxy cure at temperatures as low as 40 F.

Yes. The general rule is that the curing time doubles for each 18F/10C. a
bigger problem is moisture. The hardener likes to react with water instead
of epoxy.

When my friend and I built a glued lapstrake dinghy in the winter, it was
often freezing. We hung 75 watt lightbulbs between the moulds and covered
the hull with a thin foam/aluminum blanket when curing overnight. Most of
the time the epoxy was cured in the morning.

Meindert

William R. Watt

"Meindert Sprang" ) writes:

When my friend and I built a glued lapstrake dinghy in the winter, it was
often freezing. We hung 75 watt lightbulbs between the moulds and covered
the hull with a thin foam/aluminum blanket when curing overnight. Most of
the time the epoxy was cured in the morning.

I did much the same when working with plastic resin adhesvie on the 12 ft
Dogskiff, except a couple of polytarps were draped over the boat and
tucked under 2x4's along teh bottom to keep teh heat in. An electric
heater and a thermometer were put underneath. The temperature was 90 deg
F. It added $20 to my electicity bill.

I timed the work in the evening to cure as much glue overnight as
possible to reduce the curint time and electricity cost.

Using light bulbs or a heater has been mentioned by a lot of peopel who
have posted in this newsgroup.

I too have read that epoxy is not as strong if cured in lower
temperatures or if cured over a longer time.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

I just purchased Epoxy and ordered two types of hardner: 'Normal' for
use above 60F and 'Cold Weather' for down to 40F (Want to get some
work done this winter :-)

So I supect the answer is yes, some will, but not all. Though when
talking to the tech expert, he said that even if the temp was too low,
the mixed product would cure once the temp raised.

-al-

On 30 Jan 2004 11:37:18 -0800, (brad) wrote:

Will epoxy cure at temperatures as low as 40 F.

Backyard Renegade

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message ...
"brad" wrote in message
om...
Will epoxy cure at temperatures as low as 40 F.

Yes. The general rule is that the curing time doubles for each 18F/10C. a
bigger problem is moisture. The hardener likes to react with water instead
of epoxy.

When my friend and I built a glued lapstrake dinghy in the winter, it was
often freezing. We hung 75 watt lightbulbs between the moulds and covered
the hull with a thin foam/aluminum blanket when curing overnight. Most of
the time the epoxy was cured in the morning.

Meindert

The way my distributor explained it to me. Most of the major lines
will cure at that temp, slowly, and not completely. They will in most
cases be able to be cured to a point where they can be worked and are
fairly sound and for all practical purposes, we can call it cured.
There are also cold cure hardners that will come "cure" faster at
temp. To reach "full" cure, most still need some time in the high 70's
or low 80's farenheit for a day or so.
Scotty
Ron Magen

One of the 'small things' that can cause BIG aggravation is 'curtaining' of
the epoxy.

Fastening surfaces together is no problem - horizontal or vertical. However,
a the effect of GRAVITY is inexorable. A 'fill coat', finishing coat, or
even heavily thickened 'putty', will run or 'sag' when given an 8- to
12-hour period to 'cure'.

Hopefully it will only be to the 'green' stage or a little after, but with
Murphy it's usually a little further on. YES - this is the 'voice of
experience'. If you have to work in the cold, try to 'pre-cover'/ 'pre-make'
your individual panels . . . 'on the flat'. Also remember, the 'taped seams'
{of chines, etc.}have a rather heavy 'soaking' of epoxy or filler/epoxy mix.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
SNIP

When my friend and I built a glued lapstrake dinghy in the winter, it was
often freezing. We hung 75 watt lightbulbs between the moulds and covered
the hull with a thin foam/aluminum blanket when curing overnight. Most of
the time the epoxy was cured in the morning.

Meindert

Matt Langenfeld

Yes but it will cure very slowly. You can get faster curing epoxy for
lower temperatures.

Matt Langenfeld
www.jem.e-boat.net

Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
How thick to make the fairing? & vaccum bagging a hull Pete Boat Building 12 January 19th 04 10:12 PM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM
dynel tips Patrick Miller Boat Building 1 August 11th 03 02:43 AM