William R. Watt

Default Will epoxy cure in Low Temperature

"Meindert Sprang" ) writes:

When my friend and I built a glued lapstrake dinghy in the winter, it was
often freezing. We hung 75 watt lightbulbs between the moulds and covered
the hull with a thin foam/aluminum blanket when curing overnight. Most of
the time the epoxy was cured in the morning.

I did much the same when working with plastic resin adhesvie on the 12 ft
Dogskiff, except a couple of polytarps were draped over the boat and
tucked under 2x4's along teh bottom to keep teh heat in. An electric
heater and a thermometer were put underneath. The temperature was 90 deg
F. It added $20 to my electicity bill.

I timed the work in the evening to cure as much glue overnight as
possible to reduce the curint time and electricity cost.

Using light bulbs or a heater has been mentioned by a lot of peopel who
have posted in this newsgroup.

I too have read that epoxy is not as strong if cured in lower
temperatures or if cured over a longer time.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm