posted to rec.boats.building
Marc Reeves

Default This is a God send!!

I just found this group and spent the last 2 hours reading past posts and
already I have learned A LOT from you guys!

I have two quick questions, my next project is going to be a merrymeeting
bay duck boat from sandypointboatworks.com
(http://sandypointboatworks.com/merrymeeting.html) Has anyone had any
experience with these guys? I've been in limited contact with the owner,
and he seems like a stand up guy, but first impressions can be deceiving.

Second, anyone have any other suggestion for a layout/scull type boat. I'm
of beginning experience and would prefer nothing too complex.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

posted to rec.boats.building
dennyhugg

Mark, I have had good experience with Chesapeake Light Craft, Inc., of
Annapolis, MD.

www.CLCBoats.com

Their kits cover a wide range of uses and are complete in every
respect.

I looked at your URL cited... anyone claiming to get $5K for the vessel
shown in the picture is smoking rope.

If you decide to use "Stitch'n'Glue" techniques, I offer these
experience-based ideas;

Don't "Stitch" - use a good brand of duct tape to hold the seams and
straps around the hull form. Epoxy at wide intervals to hold position,
then fillet with thickened stuff. Inserting copper stitching is very
time-consuming; removal leaves hull marks.

The biggest spring paper clips (I use those black springs with silvery
steel openers that measure about 2 inches in length) make good clamps
for smaller glue joints.

Don't use the paint products recommended in CLC manuals. The undercoat
is too chalky and the paint is very tender, easily peeled. I'm going to
repaint with concrete floor two-part epoxy after a good sand-dwon and
reapplied undercoat from auto paint store.

I built a West River 16' kayak (open cockpit for flyfishing and
photography) from a CLC kit. Almost more fun building it than paddling
it. Weighs 54 pounds ( I over-engineer everything! ). My next attempt
will target about 45 lbs for the same boat.

Bon chance,

Denny

posted to rec.boats.building
Sam

Marc Reeves wrote:
Second, anyone have any other suggestion for a layout/scull type boat. I'm
of beginning experience and would prefer nothing too complex.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

This sneakbox from 1836 is sort of the same..
http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RowBoats/SneakBox
Here's the site it came from..
http://www.svensons.com/boat/
Hope it helps. Sam

posted to rec.boats.building
Sam

http://boatplans-online.com/studyplans/DS15_study.htm

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Denny,

Your painting ideas (below) are interesting and would save money too
....have you tried the products you listed yet? If you have discovered name
brands that are tough and work well, can you name them?

Thx,
Brian

"dennyhugg" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Reeves
I just found this group and spent the last 2 hours reading past posts and
already I have learned A LOT from you guys!

I have two quick questions, my next project is going to be a merrymeeting
bay duck boat from sandypointboatworks.com
(http://sandypointboatworks.com/merrymeeting.html) Has anyone had any
experience with these guys? I've been in limited contact with the owner,
and he seems like a stand up guy, but first impressions can be deceiving.

Second, anyone have any other suggestion for a layout/scull type boat. I'm
of beginning experience and would prefer nothing too complex.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
MARC,

Not sure if you have built your boat yet or not but I have built a boat from Sandy Point Boat works before. Not the Merrymeeting bay duck boat but the Rob Roy boat they have called little Rob. All I can tell you is the video that I got with the plans was unbelievably good, the plans were clear and easy to read and the boat went to gether with no problems.

The other answers you recieved seemed like a commercial for another company so I thought I would give you an answer to the question you actually asked.