Skip Gundlach

Default Tampa/Ft. Lauderdale surveyors

Hi, all,

I've got an offer on a boat in process. I've had Pete Brown, in the TSP
area, referred to me as a particularly thorough surveyor, with (because
he used to work there) a very unusually deep knowledge of Morgans.

Has anyone used him - and if so, what are your impressions?

Secondly, failing that, are there recommendations in the group for or
against any particular surveyors in either the TSP or FTL areas? I'm
definitely not looking for a deal breaker, but I'm also definitely
looking for someone who will be critical on critical items, and go up
the mast(s) to look at, directly, the fittings, and that sort of thing.
Pete's cited as doing that, and for my 45' class boat, spends 10-12
hours doing it...

Please reply directly, as I may not see it here. Thanks.

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, by proxy)

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

--
"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Secondly, failing that, are there recommendations in the group for or
against any particular surveyors in either the TSP or FTL areas?

I'd ensure that whomever you choose is on your insurance company's list.
The guy you mentioned probably is. He sounds like a broker's nightmare.

And I wouldn't worry about the insurance company knowing all the warts.
You'll fix those things that are important anyway.

--
Jere Lull
Dick Locke

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:25:02 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

[...]

I used Mike Davenport of Safeguard Marine in Sarasota to do the hull
and someone whose name escapes me from North Sails of St. Pete to do
the rigging and Mike Downes of M.D Diesel service to do the engine and
was happy with all three. Mike Davenport recommended the rigging guy
and the engine guy. Mike's email is , North
Sail is at 727 898 1123 and David Downes is at 941 485 9079.
Bruce

Skip
A deal breaker type of surveyor is exactly what you are looking for...you
want to know exactly what problems you are going to have with a 20 something
year old boat. It is up to you to have the depth of knowledge to know what
is or is not a deficiency that will stop the transaction. The insurance
concerns are the second most important consideration. If the insurance
company doesn't recognize the credentials, you just through your money away.
Good luck
Bruce
I'm definitely not looking for a deal breaker, but I'm also definitely
looking for someone who will be critical on critical items, and go up
the mast(s) to look at, directly, the fittings, and that sort of thing.

Charlie J

Pete Brown is a thorough and honest surveyor...you can't go wrong with him.
Charlie J
JTB Marine Service
St. Petersburg, FL

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
message .net...
[...]

Skip Gundlach

Default Surveyors (was) Tampa/Ft. Lauderdale surveyors

Well, I've (on several Sailnet lists) gotten nothing but positive feedback
about the only two surveyors I've known about in FL, Pete Brown, and Rick
Shelley. In Pete's case, for a 46' boat, it's $19 a foot, including
climbing and inspecting masthead and attachments along with the rigging
everywhere. I don't have a price for Rick.

However, take a gander at http://www.nymarinesurveyor.com/index.html and
look at their samples, and their pricing (which *doesn't* include direct
inspection of any sticks or rigging off the deck).

I particularly like their documentation with photos and citations of regs
WRT any suggested stuff. Seems to me that this would be particularly
effective in negotiation after the survey, as it's not conjecture, or
subjective, but regulation. In looking at several of their samples, I see
that there's a fair amount of boilerplate (which is entirely appropriate for
duplicate circumstances or stuff which is background for each client). I
got a grin out of every one advocating subscribing to Good Old Boat and
Practical Sailor, and to purchase Don Casey's, Nigel Calder's, and a couple
of other boat books... Couple of questions:

Has anyone used them?

Has anyone used *other* surveyors who use this approach?

New York Surveyors Rob General 2 February 10th 04 02:37 AM
Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, Anyone? Jim Woodward General 2 October 27th 03 01:21 PM
Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, Anyone? Jim Woodward Boat Building 0 October 25th 03 12:35 PM
Great Lakes Surveyors WORST [email protected] General 2 September 5th 03 06:30 PM