Ed Edelenbos

Default OT apologies

DSK wrote:
Fact remains, posting ads to discussion groups is rude. That's not what the group
is for, just like your telephone is not for interrupting your family dinner with a
great mortgage refinance offer (or something). After all, if you don't want it,
don't answer the phone, right?

DSK

But admittedly I haven't read the charter for this group, but typically
ng's have (written into the charter) what is and isn't acceptable as far
as for sale ads go.

Has anyone checked the charter for this group? Anyone have a pointer?

Ed

--
The SPAM got to me... change spam to speak in the return address.

steveb

Ed Edelenbos lifted the trapdoor, peered around and
wrote:

Has anyone checked the charter for this group? Anyone have a pointer?

Good etiquette doesn't require a FAQ. The point about articles for sale in
a discussion group, is pretty clear. Regular contributors who occasionally
offer things for sale, or advise in response to a question, or include a
small link in a sig. file .... these are all well established and accepted
practises.

However, appearing once, or just occasionally to post an ad. isn't.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't make it either a good idea, or
an allowable practise, and criticising ppl who simply point this out
(politely) is ridiculous.

You will prolly find pointers for sale on eBay!

steveb
Ed Edelenbos

wrote:

Has anyone checked the charter for this group? Anyone have a pointer?

Good etiquette doesn't require a FAQ. The point about articles for sale in
a discussion group, is pretty clear. Regular contributors who occasionally
offer things for sale, or advise in response to a question, or include a
small link in a sig. file .... these are all well established and accepted
practises.

However, appearing once, or just occasionally to post an ad. isn't.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't make it either a good idea, or
an allowable practise, and criticising ppl who simply point this out
(politely) is ridiculous.

You will prolly find pointers for sale on eBay!

steveb

I hear you but unless I'm seriously mistaken, the post that started this
whole squawk was from a name I've seen before... someone who has talked
about boat building. Almost every group I've ever seen has (in the faq)
a policy that for sale ads should be labeled FS: YadaYada in the header
and should be an individual who has something forsale and commercial ads
are not permitted. I think the screwdriver this guy was selling fits
that description.

Whatever. You want to get all "etiquitte" ****y about it, that's up to
you. It didn't bother me. Apparently, since only one or two people got
bothered by it, it isn't as big a problem as it has been made out to be.

Ed
--
The SPAM got to me... change spam to speak in the return address.

steveb

wrote:

Apparently, since only one or two people got
bothered by it, it isn't as big a problem as it has been made out to be

It isn't now, and never was a big problem. Discussions like this set the
tone tho ... this one has been ok. Keeps it from becoming a big problem.

steveb
Backyard Renegade

wrote:

[...]

I think maybe more folks were bothered by it but decided not to step
in else get a flame post started about them directly. Seems this guy
started this thread to slam in public someone who apparently contacted
him off list. The guy knew what he was doing and could have just let
it go himself. Jim has been an active poster to this list for a long
time.
Scotty

Brian Nystrom

DSK wrote:
This is the kind of hair-splitting logic that would delight a religious
philosopher! C'mon, let's lighten up.

Bray Haven wrote:
Good point. I've seen a lot more space taken up by folks whining about people
selling an occasional topic related item

VERY good point. Talk about a waste of bandwidth!

Fact remains, posting ads to discussion groups is rude. That's not what the group
is for, just like your telephone is not for interrupting your family dinner with a
great mortgage refinance offer (or something). After all, if you don't want it,
don't answer the phone, right?

Someone needs to post an ad for Midol, as there are obviously a few
people here who are in desperate need of some.

Bray Haven

just like your telephone is not for interrupting your family dinner with a
great mortgage refinance offer (or something). After all, if you don't want
it,
don't answer the phone, right?

DSK

Yep. Hint, that little FS means "for sale". . If you don't need anything,
don't read it. I've found some much needed tools, parts & materials in special
interest NG's along with information.
Greg Sefton
Brian D

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message
[snip]

Someone needs to post an ad for Midol, as there are obviously a few
people here who are in desperate need of some.

Too funny!

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass