Chris

Default OT apologies

It was been brought to my attention that to post a tool for sale in a
construction-oriented newsgroup is spam.

I am deeply hurt that I may have in any way bothered anyone with my money
woes.

Perhaps, in future, someone will post some sort of FAQ, otherwise shut the
hell up.

To Jim Conlin, that means you, or write a FAQ.

Admittedly, it's off-topic of me to commit the sin of selling my hand-drill
for $10 on a boatbuilding newsgroup. I am deeply troubled by my wrongs. I
hope, someday, the newsgroup community will see it in their hearts to
forgive me this horrid sin.

Mr. Conlin, I will never spam this newsgroup again. I suggest you NEVER
make one single mistake here, either. I will be watching with all the
vigilance you've shown me.

;-)

Brian D

Chris,

This has been researched before. First, this is an unmoderated group and
nobody checks up on us, therefore some people get a little bent now and
then. Second, the FAQ does *NOT* say "no spam". Nothing disallows it (if
someone has since discovered otherwise, let us know publicly.) Third, in
keeping with good netiquette, the great majority of the people here will
allow simple advertisements of things they have to sell, or pointers to web
sites or companies that are related to the building of boats. You have to
use some personal judgment about how much is too much, then round down on
that a bit. If you do that, then just ignore the noise makers and pretend
they don't exist. The rest of us might be interested in an occasional heads
up on a tool, boat part, or source of supplies...

Brian

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
It was been brought to my attention that to post a tool for sale in a
construction-oriented newsgroup is spam.

I am deeply hurt that I may have in any way bothered anyone with my money
woes.

Perhaps, in future, someone will post some sort of FAQ, otherwise shut the
hell up.

To Jim Conlin, that means you, or write a FAQ.

Admittedly, it's off-topic of me to commit the sin of selling my

hand-drill
for $10 on a boatbuilding newsgroup. I am deeply troubled by my wrongs.

hope, someday, the newsgroup community will see it in their hearts to
forgive me this horrid sin.

Mr. Conlin, I will never spam this newsgroup again. I suggest you NEVER
make one single mistake here, either. I will be watching with all the
vigilance you've shown me.

;-)

Chris

"Brian D" wrote in message

I understand, twas' sarcasm for Mr. Conlin's sake. ;-)

DSK

Brian D wrote:

then. Second, the FAQ does *NOT* say "no spam".

Just because it's not specifically prohibited, that doesn't mean it's A-OK.

Placing advertisements in a discussion groups is always considered rude. It's
the uenet equivalent of telemarketing.

Besides, as a matter of principle, if everyone with a tool or some boatbuilding
related item for sale decided that this newsgroup was great free advertising, it
would drown out all discussion & exchange of information.

You decide what kind of newsgroup you want.

Regards
Doug King

Stephen Baker

Doug King says:

Just because it's not specifically prohibited, that doesn't mean it's A-OK.

Placing advertisements in a discussion groups is always considered rude. It's
the uenet equivalent of telemarketing.

Quite so. There is a newsgroup specifically for this task -
rec.boats.marketplace

As previously mentioned, no-one minds the occasional "Hey, guys, I have a tool
to sell - anyone interested?", but a whole post of tools to sell would come
under the heading of spam in most groups.
If it's done once without comment, and doesn't recur, then fine. If it's done
repeatedly, then it's a No-No. If it's done once and someone comments - well,
that's what we have here ;-)

Steve

Brian D

From my post:

"You have to use some personal judgment about how much is too much, then
round down on
that a bit."

I think that's pretty conservative and gets the point across. Nobody is
encouraging drowning out all conversation by utilizing great free
advertising. I for one would prefer to just let it ride and flex a little
bit. I've gotten some good deals on stuff thanks to people's heads-up notes
here and there's no reason that kind of thing can't occur now and then.
When it's repeated or abused, then say something. One time benign notices
should be ignored without comment if you are not interested in it. Just my
opinion (the only thing I'm willing to give away for free.)

Brian

"DSK" wrote in message

Brian D wrote:

then. Second, the FAQ does *NOT* say "no spam".

Just because it's not specifically prohibited, that doesn't mean it's

A-OK.

Placing advertisements in a discussion groups is always considered rude.

It's
the uenet equivalent of telemarketing.

Besides, as a matter of principle, if everyone with a tool or some

boatbuilding
related item for sale decided that this newsgroup was great free

advertising, it
would drown out all discussion & exchange of information.

You decide what kind of newsgroup you want.

Regards
Doug King

Auerbach

Seems to me that about one post out of eight on this newsgroup is a request
from a boatbuilder looking for the best price on plywood or epoxy or
whatever, and no one objects either to the question or to the responses,
which typically recommend (i.e. advertise) one or two vendors. So it's OK to
post an "ad" notice here if it is for a commercial outfit, but not if it's
an individual who wants to unload a few tools that are no longer needed?

This is the kind of hair-splitting logic that would delight a religious
philosopher! C'mon, let's lighten up.

From my post:

"DSK" wrote in message

Brian D wrote:

then. Second, the FAQ does *NOT* say "no spam".

Just because it's not specifically prohibited, that doesn't mean it's

A-OK.

Placing advertisements in a discussion groups is always considered rude.

It's
the uenet equivalent of telemarketing.

Besides, as a matter of principle, if everyone with a tool or some

boatbuilding
related item for sale decided that this newsgroup was great free

advertising, it
would drown out all discussion & exchange of information.

You decide what kind of newsgroup you want.

Regards
Doug King

Brian Whatcott

Default Commercial Internet Search (was : OT apologies)

There is a new search service dedicated to finding commercial outlets
for stuff you want.
It's called Froogle. Run by Google (of course)
It worked well when I searched for a spin index (which is not an every
day item after all) so it might work well for you too.

Brian W

"Brian D" wrote in message
> [...]
From my post:

"You have to use some personal judgment about how much is too much, then
round down on
that a bit."

Bray Haven

This is the kind of hair-splitting logic that would delight a religious
philosopher! C'mon, let's lighten up.

Good point. I've seen a lot more space taken up by folks whining about people
selling an occasional topic related item that is probably welcomed by someone
(if you ain't looking for anything, don't read the post), than by those posts
themselves.
Greg Sefton
DSK

Bray Haven wrote:
Good point. I've seen a lot more space taken up by folks whining about people
selling an occasional topic related item

And then, as if that weren't enough, other people pile on to add that the people
who point out that the people who complain are taking up more space than the
people who....

that is probably welcomed by someone
(if you ain't looking for anything, don't read the post), than by those posts
themselves.

Fact remains, posting ads to discussion groups is rude. That's not what the group
is for, just like your telephone is not for interrupting your family dinner with a
great mortgage refinance offer (or something). After all, if you don't want it,
don't answer the phone, right?

DSK