Haakon Dybdahl

Default Spreader repair

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig. One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

Brian Whatcott

You left us to guess the material of the spreader. I expect it was an
aluminum extrusion. This can be welded, but without heat treatment,
it is likely to be considerably weakened.
Better to get a length of fresh material from industrial sources.

Brian w

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:06:54 +0100, "Haakon Dybdahl"
wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig. One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

Haakon Dybdahl

Thanks. Your guess i correct, I belive the bracket is aluminium (since the
mast is aluminium, and the spreader itself is aluminium). The broken bracket
might be loosened from the mast, and after reading about "heat treatment" on
the Internet, it should be no problem to do that with a tourch or something.

Haakon

wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig.

One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that

sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast

on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

Steve

"Haakon Dybdahl" wrote in message

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

If your mast doesn't show any signs of heavy pitting under the fittings and
no cracks, then you should be alright..

I just finished build an Ingrid 38 and I put in a used mast that is almost
20 years old and has been to the Bering Sea twice. I couldn't find any
defect in the mast, other than some pitting under the winch bases and since
they were on welded pads it didn't effect the mast strength.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Brian Whatcott

Still guessing somewhat, that the broken pice is a bracket, not the
spreader.
If the bracket was cast, it should weld without heat treat.
If it was an extrusion, replace, or weld and heat treat would be the
'proper' approach.

Brian W

wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig.

One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that

sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast

on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

JAXAshby

You left us to guess the material of the spreader. I expect it was an
aluminum extrusion. This can be welded, but without heat treatment,
it is likely to be considerably weakened.

aircraft welders do it all the time, and have for at least 30 years that I know
of.
Haakon Dybdahl

Thanks for all the help! I got one more answer by email I would like to
share with whoever might be interested:

"I had a Chrysler with the same problem. We drilled out from the base to
the rod. Tapped a thread and installed a machine screw with loctite. No
problems for my four year use after the repair. I believe the vessel is
still sailing."

pmg

"Haakon Dybdahl" wrote in message
Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig.

One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that

sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

matt colie

Haakon,
Go To:
http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/cabana/3135/
there is a wealth of information available there.

I happen to have one in my backyard, but it is not mine.

Matt Colie

Haakon Dybdahl wrote:
Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig. One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

Terry Spragg

Haakon Dybdahl wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig. One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

My SC22 mast had a steel through bolt mount for the spreaders,
but alarmingly, did not have a compression box inside the mast.
I lost that mast in a race, when the shroud tension in a gust
squashed the mast. When I built a new mast from an aluminium
extrusion, I cut a piece of square aluminium tube and slid it
inside the mast using chimney rods and tape. When the spreader
bolt was in the tube, I pulled the rods out, tearing the tape. I
put in 2 pop rivets located so as to ensure the compression box
could not escape.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is