Brian Whatcott

Default Spreader repair

Still guessing somewhat, that the broken pice is a bracket, not the
spreader.
If the bracket was cast, it should weld without heat treat.
If it was an extrusion, replace, or weld and heat treat would be the
'proper' approach.

Brian W

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:31:30 +0100, "Haakon Dybdahl"
wrote:

Thanks. Your guess i correct, I belive the bracket is aluminium (since the
mast is aluminium, and the spreader itself is aluminium). The broken bracket
might be loosened from the mast, and after reading about "heat treatment" on
the Internet, it should be no problem to do that with a tourch or something.

Haakon

You left us to guess the material of the spreader. I expect it was an
aluminum extrusion. This can be welded, but without heat treatment,
it is likely to be considerably weakened.
Better to get a length of fresh material from industrial sources.

Brian w

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:06:54 +0100, "Haakon Dybdahl"
wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig.

One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that

sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast

on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl