Terry Spragg

Default Spreader repair

Haakon Dybdahl wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an old Chrysler 22 in bad condition. I have fixed most
problems (hull, deck, tiller, keel ++), but are now looking at the rig. One
of the spreader is broken. This is the mounting to the mast.

Is welding a proper way of fixing a spreader? Is there some place that sells
spreaders.

I also question the condition of the mast. Is it common to replace mast on
sailboats? This boat is from late 70s.

thanks!

Haakon Dybdahl

My SC22 mast had a steel through bolt mount for the spreaders,
but alarmingly, did not have a compression box inside the mast.
I lost that mast in a race, when the shroud tension in a gust
squashed the mast. When I built a new mast from an aluminium
extrusion, I cut a piece of square aluminium tube and slid it
inside the mast using chimney rods and tape. When the spreader
bolt was in the tube, I pulled the rods out, tearing the tape. I
put in 2 pop rivets located so as to ensure the compression box
could not escape.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is