Neil

Default Price for Sabb 10hp

Hi,
Anyone have a clue what a Sabb 10hp (with drive) would
be worth in he USA? It has been rebuilt a while back apparently. The owner
wants an offer, but I have no idea what the motor is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Neil McC.

JAXAshby

price of a 440 pound engine -- without starter motor -- that develops 10 hp
flat out, throttle against the fire wall, motor built in Norway, "rebuilt a
while back"?

You tell us.

Hi,
Anyone have a clue what a Sabb 10hp (with drive) would
be worth in he USA? It has been rebuilt a while back apparently. The owner
wants an offer, but I have no idea what the motor is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Neil McC.

Dave Cannell

Neil,

Don't let JAX scare you off. For the right boat that old SABB is exactly
the right engine. It has a variable (and reversible) pitch prop which is
a fantastic idea. I just don't have the room on my boat to swing that
much prop 8-(

Pirate_Dave
--

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
price of a 440 pound engine -- without starter motor -- that develops 10

hp
flat out, throttle against the fire wall, motor built in Norway, "rebuilt

while back"?

You tell us.

Hi,
Anyone have a clue what a Sabb 10hp (with drive) would
be worth in he USA? It has been rebuilt a while back apparently. The

owner
wants an offer, but I have no idea what the motor is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Neil McC.

Neil

Dave,
Thanks for your positive comments.
I was thinking of building 'Godzilla'
http://www.devlinboat.com/dcgodzilla.htm
and I favour an old slow revving Sabb - if I can get one.
For reference, and was rebuilt about 18 months ago.

I use a 50 year old Ferguson tractor on my small farm and it's just great. I
wonder how many
Kubotas will be still be going after 50 years.

Neil McC.

.. .

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
price of a 440 pound engine -- without starter motor -- that develops

10
hp
flat out, throttle against the fire wall, motor built in Norway,

"rebuilt
while back"?

You tell us.

Hi,
Anyone have a clue what a Sabb 10hp (with drive) would
be worth in he USA? It has been rebuilt a while back apparently. The

owner
wants an offer, but I have no idea what the motor is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Neil McC.

JAXAshby

you mean you are looking at a grossly heavy, pitifully underpowered engine made
in some garage in Norway, rebuilt "some time ago" ....

..... and THEN ....

..... are asking for definitive advice from rec.boat.highschool on just how much
this thing is worth????

Of course.

Dude, an 9.9 hp outboard would be easier to fix and keep in running shape and
would weigh several hundred pounds less.

In addition, most any single cylinder recent production diesel inboard would
weigh upwards of 250# less and be easy to keep repaired.

For that matter, a Vyre (sp?) 7 hp, 2-cycle gasoline inboard would weigh close
to 350# less (that means the boat would have 350# more load carrying capacity
(use it for fuel if you wish. 350# of gasoline is about 55 gallons EXTRA fuel
onboard, or about 150 *hours* more motoring time than the obese sabb engine.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
price of a 440 pound engine -- without starter motor -- that develops 10

hp
flat out, throttle against the fire wall, motor built in Norway, "rebuilt

while back"?

You tell us.

Hi,
Anyone have a clue what a Sabb 10hp (with drive) would
be worth in he USA? It has been rebuilt a while back apparently. The

owner
wants an offer, but I have no idea what the motor is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Neil McC.

JAXAshby

for the right boat, a 2,000# wood-fired steam engine is the right engine, too.

Not many boats are right for that, but at least one with a totally dedicated
owner wanting a character boat there is.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
price of a 440 pound engine -- without starter motor -- that develops 10

hp
flat out, throttle against the fire wall, motor built in Norway, "rebuilt

while back"?

You tell us.

Hi,
Anyone have a clue what a Sabb 10hp (with drive) would
be worth in he USA? It has been rebuilt a while back apparently. The

owner
wants an offer, but I have no idea what the motor is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Neil McC.

NKlykken

you mean you are looking at a grossly heavy, pitifully underpowered engine
made
in some garage in Norway

Sabbs are wonderfully suited for what they do best in a displacement hull.
They will run forever with a minimum of care. They are as dependable as it
gets. Sabb makes starter kits for them, but they can always be hand-cranked
and will start at just about any temperature.

Offer the guy $1000.00 bucks and be overjoyed if he takes it. If you are
looking to power a displacment hull and understand the benefits of variable
pitch, then this would be a gift.

Good Luck !

Regards,

Nils Klykken
St. Pete, Florida

Jacques Mertens

The Sabbs are great engines, very reliable and quiet thanks to their super
big flywhell.
They are easy to fix, easy to rebuild and the company as dealers in the US
or will ship parts.
I would pay up to $ 1,000.00 for a running 10 HP especially if it comes with
the var. pitch prop and shaft.
My only reservation is the HP, 10 HP is a little small for that very heavy
Devlin design. Those old engines have great torque at low rpm but still, I
would prefer to see a 20 in there.
Again: it's a great engine.

--
Jacques