Default fair price for apprasal and 2 hour training - forgot to mention

Please see prior post. I was asking what a fair price to pay for pre
purchase 30 minute appraisal/Inspection for a boat I will pay $6500?
and then a 2 hour (1 hour in water) general training on my my boat
with my fuel.

.... what I forgot to state was that I'm in Miami Florida. Anybody
Qualified and Interested? I need to do the inspecting before Wednesday
when I will right the check and the training this coming weekend. Just
need the basics and my general questions answered.

Thanks!
jchaplain

You need to get the boat surveyed, but then also to take a Coast Guard
approved boating safety course.
I don't know who might survey the boat for you, I'm sure others here
might recommend someone.
Take the safety course. I had been away from boating for a bunch of
years and took it to refresh ( you can take it online.) You'll get a
break on insurance as well if you take this course. You have to know
how to navigate,( who has the right of way, what colored bouys mean,
etc.) what signals mean, how to use a VHF radio, and other important
aspects of boating in addition to learing how to run your particular
boat.
John C.

On 23 Nov 2003 01:20:42 -0800, wrote:

Please see prior post. I was asking what a fair price to pay for pre
purchase 30 minute appraisal/Inspection for a boat I will pay $6500?
and then a 2 hour (1 hour in water) general training on my my boat
with my fuel.

... what I forgot to state was that I'm in Miami Florida. Anybody
Qualified and Interested? I need to do the inspecting before Wednesday
when I will right the check and the training this coming weekend. Just
need the basics and my general questions answered.

Thanks!

John Gaquin

wrote in message

purchase 30 minute appraisal/Inspection for a boat I will pay $6500?
and then a 2 hour (1 hour in water) general training on my my boat
with my fuel.

I need to do the inspecting before Wednesday
when I will right the check and the training this coming weekend. Just
need the basics and my general questions answered.

Jason......
I note you've made several posts on this subject, in which you freely state
that you are new to boating and need basic information. This basic
knowledge ought to be obtained *before* you go about purchasing a boat. I
would suggest you cancel the pending boat deal until you have some idea what
you're buying. There will *always* be other boats around.

I also heartily endorse John Chaplain's suggestion that you take a boating
safety course from the Coast Guard Auxiliary or the US Power Squadron. This
type of course will give you just the sort of basic information you're
seeking, plus you can spend some time talking to other boaters, who can also
provide you with information. That way, when your surveyor is checking out
a boat for you, you'll have some idea what he's saying.

Buying a boat without some knowledge or expert advice is about as sensible
as buying an airplane without some knowledge or expert advice. It's
perfectly legal, but not a good idea.

JG

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hello Jason,

First off, get an appraisal! Most marine mechanics should be able to do
that.

Second. Take the USCG safe boating course.

My website has the links and some safety info. Feel free to make use of it.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Regards,

Capt. Frank

wrote:
Please see prior post. I was asking what a fair price to pay for pre
purchase 30 minute appraisal/Inspection for a boat I will pay $6500?
and then a 2 hour (1 hour in water) general training on my my boat
with my fuel.

... what I forgot to state was that I'm in Miami Florida. Anybody
Qualified and Interested? I need to do the inspecting before Wednesday
when I will right the check and the training this coming weekend. Just
need the basics and my general questions answered.

Thanks!

bowgus

My experience in Ontario. If you're buying from a broker/marina, and it's a
relatively small, older boat (e.g. '83, 18' I/O), an employee there can do
up a "letter of survey" which will describe the boat, it's general state of
repair, it's value. Your insurance company will require this or a survey
(check with your agent before you buy) if you are planning on insuring the
boat. So that's the appraisal. An out of the water motor not running
inspection ... I dunno, is it worth it? If so, pay a mechanic whatever the
local going hourly rate is. And take that 30 minute test drive before you
buy, not after. I almost bought a particular boat ... but changed my mind
once out on the water ... the boat was ok ... but just didn't suit me.

And if you're buying privately, and are insuring the boat, your insurance
company will require a survey (call your agent about this before you buy)
which will require a mechanic to go over the boat thoroughly ... which cost
a buddy of mine $300 ('84, 17' I/O) plus parts (battery box, etc etc). I
doubt very much the owner will allow you to do this before you purchase. One
thing you should do for sure though, is have the owner take you on that 30
minute test drive before you buy.

So I guess what I'm saying is, maybe rethink how you're gonna go about your
boat purchase.

"LaBomba182" wrote in message

I was asking what a fair price to pay for pre
purchase 30 minute appraisal/Inspection for a boat I will pay $6500?
and then a 2 hour (1 hour in water) general training on my my boat
with my fuel.

$150 - $250
And any worth whiled inspection will take more than 30 min..
Capt. Bill