posted to rec.boats.building
raoul

Default Pet Peeve Time

In article , Brian D
wrote:

I rowed on the Oregon State University Varsity CREW Team. That's what it's
officially called, like it or not. Same with Stanford, MIT, University of
Washington many other respectable organizations with long histories. That
said, note that the following page shows the terms to be pretty evenly split
in actual usage:

Not suprising that OSU can't get it right.

It is a rowing crew OR a rowing team. Not both. And I don't care what
you or anyone else says. The University of Washington DOES NOT have a
crew team. I was on the comittiee that researched and advised the guy
who wrote the history of Washington Crew for our Centennial in 2003. No
where will you find Washington referred to as a "crew team". That is
shear ignorance.

raoul

Washington '78

http://www.truesport.com/Row/links.htm

Brian D

"raoul" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

posted to rec.boats.building

Nit pick all you want. My son is on the crew rowing team, get over it.

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:26:44 -0800, raoul wrote:

In article , Brian D
wrote:

I rowed on the Oregon State University Varsity CREW Team. That's what it's
officially called, like it or not. Same with Stanford, MIT, University of
Washington many other respectable organizations with long histories. That
said, note that the following page shows the terms to be pretty evenly split
in actual usage:

Not suprising that OSU can't get it right.

It is a rowing crew OR a rowing team. Not both. And I don't care what
you or anyone else says. The University of Washington DOES NOT have a
crew team. I was on the comittiee that researched and advised the guy
who wrote the history of Washington Crew for our Centennial in 2003. No
where will you find Washington referred to as a "crew team". That is
shear ignorance.

raoul

"raoul" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

Raoul was so sure (not to mention condescending, about OSU) I felt
the call to Google using this string:"crew team"

Hmmmm.. Georgetown and Bryn Mawr web sites both refer to their crew
team. Well, what do you know? (You actually have to pay real money
to get into those, unlike WU) Oh! and Western Washington U
mentions their crew team....
:-)
Brian (more in sorrow) Whatcott

posted to rec.boats.building
raoul

wrote:

I rowed on the Oregon State University Varsity CREW Team. That's what
it's
officially called, like it or not. Same with Stanford, MIT, University of
Washington many other respectable organizations with long histories. That
said, note that the following page shows the terms to be pretty evenly
split
in actual usage:

Not suprising that OSU can't get it right.

It is a rowing crew OR a rowing team. Not both. And I don't care what
you or anyone else says. The University of Washington DOES NOT have a
crew team. I was on the comittiee that researched and advised the guy
who wrote the history of Washington Crew for our Centennial in 2003. No
where will you find Washington referred to as a "crew team". That is
shear ignorance.

raoul

"raoul" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

Raoul was so sure (not to mention condescending, about OSU) I felt
the call to Google using this string:"crew team"

Hmmmm.. Georgetown and Bryn Mawr web sites both refer to their crew
team. Well, what do you know? (You actually have to pay real money
to get into those, unlike WU) Oh! and Western Washington U
mentions their crew team....

Perhaps they are all wrong? To compare the rowing programs at these
other places to Washington's is laughable.