posted to rec.boats.building

Default Pretty but unsailable

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team
and walked over to a marina next door. It was Lake Fairview Marina on
Lake Fairview in Orlando. They had a shelter under which were several
handmade boats including a Stevenson Projects "Weekender" that was a
true work of art. She was made from Southern Yellow Pine finished and
sealed to perfection with a clear coat. Every detail was perfect and
she almost glowed. She even had custom made sails from some sort of
tanbark colored material. I was seriously impressed.
She was for sale, asking price was $9000. This seems very high for
such a small boat but not for a work of art. I could imagine someone
buying this boat not to sail but just as an object of beauty but where
would you put her? Any sailing use would very quickly spoil her looks
so I can only think her builder had decided she wouldnt be sailed long
before she was finished. I am impressed but cannot understand the
motivation of her builder.