posted to rec.boats.building

Default Pretty but unsailable

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team
and walked over to a marina next door. It was Lake Fairview Marina on
Lake Fairview in Orlando. They had a shelter under which were several
handmade boats including a Stevenson Projects "Weekender" that was a
true work of art. She was made from Southern Yellow Pine finished and
sealed to perfection with a clear coat. Every detail was perfect and
she almost glowed. She even had custom made sails from some sort of
tanbark colored material. I was seriously impressed.
She was for sale, asking price was $9000. This seems very high for
such a small boat but not for a work of art. I could imagine someone
buying this boat not to sail but just as an object of beauty but where
would you put her? Any sailing use would very quickly spoil her looks
so I can only think her builder had decided she wouldnt be sailed long
before she was finished. I am impressed but cannot understand the
motivation of her builder.

posted to rec.boats.building
Andrew Butchart

I wonder if it was the "Harmony Boat Works" weekender. It was built by a
very competent builder as a show piece for the company. Considering that
you can build a Weekender yourself for a fraction of the cost, not many
people were interested so the boat has just sat doing nothing. I don't know
if the company still exists or not. Their web site is no longer up.

I'm in the midst of a Weekender myself right now - hopefully for a lot less
than $9,000 although I'm definately no craftsman.

--
Andrew Butchart

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

raoul

Default OT: Pet Peeve Time

In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".
posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default Pet Peeve Time

Or nit nit?

How about crew/team?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"raoul" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

posted to rec.boats.building
William R. Watt

raoul ) writes:
In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

Not quite, the crew would be only the people who are in the boat, while
the team could be all of the people associated with the boat including the
coach, equipment manager, sponsor, mascot, cheerleaders, and so forth. So
the crew team could be the crew and associated personnel.

posted to rec.boats.building
mislav

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

Or Boutros Boutros?

posted to rec.boats.building
Skip Gundlach

"raoul" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

Yesterday, i was in Orlando for a crew regatta for my sons crew team

OT: There is no such thing as a 'crew team'. You can have a rowing crew
or a rowing team but youcannot have a rowing crew team. "Crew" is
defined stricty as a group of people working on a task and, in this
case a group of people rowing together. "Team" is defined similarly.

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

You tell'm, Raoul :{))

L8R

Skip, Frosh, JV and Varsity small college champ seat 5, many years ago

However, unless you're a rower, that's a totally common mistake, and most of
us rowers let it slide (well, you did know that the only "real" rowing has
lots of sliding, didn't you??)...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:03:57 +0100, "mislav"
wrote:

To say "crew team" is as ponderious and illinformed as saying "Crew
crew" or "Team team".

Or Boutros Boutros?

hehehe,.... oh, sorry, I'm not meant to be laughing, am I?

:-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

I rowed on the Oregon State University Varsity CREW Team. That's what it's
officially called, like it or not. Same with Stanford, MIT, University of
Washington many other respectable organizations with long histories. That
said, note that the following page shows the terms to be pretty evenly split
in actual usage:

http://www.truesport.com/Row/links.htm

Brian D