Capt. Rob

Default Pretty Damn Qrappy!

Pretty she aint!

http://www.islandfx.com/ssct/newcat/images/pdq36.jpg

No swim platforms on smaller cats...just steps...

http://www.islandfx.com/ssct/newcat/...rn_at_dock.jpg

Wow, you can really feel like Ralph Kramden behind that bus wheel!

http://www.islandfx.com/ssct/newcat/images/100_0567.jpg

I'm sorry to say that this is poor fit an finish, plainly visible.

http://www.islandfx.com/ssct/newcat/images/100_0563.jpg

Hey, I like the head if there's knee room!

http://www.islandfx.com/ssct/newcat/images/100_0557.jpg

And now....

A boat with pretty lines (but odd ports!)

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/bidpic.jpg

Swim platform for two! Very roomy.

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3...u/slides/5.JPG

The wheel of a proper performance sailboat....great visibility!

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/10.JPG

Fit and finish noted as "above average" and "very fine" on two surveys!

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3...slides/21.html

Lots of legroom in this properly designed head....and huge storage

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3...slides/31.html

Fine and proper inboard diesel with dripless shaft, automatic bleeder,
automatic oil change pump and note the Fireboy automatic fire
extenguisher.

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/36.JPG

RB
35s5....buy one or kill yourself!
NY

Jeff

It figures that you picked the particular PDQ that has had the hardest
life. It was one of the earliest, built in the second year of
production by a startup company. It was actually a 34, and the stern
steps were added later. A variety of other custom features were
added, such as the locker in the stateroom that you show as "poor finish."

It has lived its entire life in the tropics, Tortola, I think. In '97
it was rammed by a large monohull dragging in a hurricane, and pulled
onto the beach, where it was heavily damaged. The bows were
destroyed, keel lost, etc. It was gradually resurrected to the state
shown in the pics. Anyone want to venture a guess what Bob's Bendy
would look like if it had been hit by a 57 foot monohull and dragged
onto the beach in a hurricane?

Here's some pics that reflect my boat. It is now out of production,
but the old web site is the
http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail...ellaIntro.html

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the PDQ is pretty
slick, compared to many of the "condomarans."
http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail...ge/ca-beam.jpg

Bob's comment elsewhere about limited visibility from the cockpit was
answered by the bench/davit added to later versions. We sometimes
steer from the bench using the autopilot - not much helm feel, but
pretty relaxing on a 100 mile passage. The cockpit is large and deep,
ideal for a toddler to play in - with the canvas up its essentially a
pilothouse. Yes, the steps are smaller than Boobie's platform, but we
have two, with davits in between.
http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail...e/ca-stern.jpg

Bob makes a big deal about the head - he seems to have leg room
issues. I admit his bendy seems to have legroom, but frankly I never
liked using a "fore and aft" head on a boat that heels 45 degrees. I
guess he doesn't plan to use it while underway. Our head might be a
tad smaller, but through the door is a standup shower, with a large
overhead hatch.
http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail...ge/ca-head.jpg

I didn't want to embarrass Bob too much so I only posted pics of the
galleys from the 35 foot monohulls he compared his to. But since he
insists - Here's hull 70, ours is 72. We have a built-in microwave
and square sinks. That's about 10 feet of counter space. Locker
space abounds, plus the floorboards open for canned goods. The oven
is in the foreground left. In addition to the 9 cu ft fridge, there's
a 5 cu ft deep freeze we had built into the third cabin behind the
photographer.
http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail...e/ca-gally.jpg

The company site shows the stateroom with added lockers. We preferred
a more open look:
http://www.sv-loki.com/ca-stateroom.jpg
The bunk is queen size, one of two. Large hanging locker, with
shelves and bins, a seat, space for two people to stand. Two
overhead hatches provide more ventilation then you ever need. We've
added SkyScreens to 5 or the 8 overhead hatches - highly recommended:
http://www.ssfabricproducts.com/html/oceanair.html

The pics don't show everything. Bob brags about one very large
locker. I have four lockers in the cockpit, plus 3 more in the bows.
Two of the bow lockers are very deep - one holds the third anchor
gear, plus 4th rode, a spinnaker, fender boards, lots of other crap.
The other hold 4 deck chairs, 2 tables a few large blowup rafts, and
on and on. We could stash an inflatable in there, but the davits are
so much more convenient, don't you think? And of course, the third
cabin is the "buyers' choice." A few people have done a dive cabin:
http://www.sv-loki.com/ca-divaft.jpg

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

35s5....buy one and kill yourself!
NY

J B

Ive always liked those , thought they were neat looking boats. How does it
sail? Dont have much use for one in central Ohio.JB

http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail.../image/ca-beam

http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail.../image/ca-ster

http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail.../image/ca-head

http://pdqyachts.com/ver2/yachtsSail.../image/ca-gall

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

Capt. Rob

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the PDQ is pretty
slick,

Good god.

not much helm feel, but
pretty relaxing on a 100 mile passage.

I prefer some helm feel. You need to buy Doug's trawler when he steps
up to a houseboat.

but frankly I never
liked using a "fore and aft" head on a boat that heels 45 degrees.

We didn't have a problem, but then we were only heeled 25% at most. I
said the PDQ has a nice head. Probably the best feature.

That's about 10 feet of counter space.

I'd trade it for a bigger head in a heartbeat. Jeff, like many folks we
cook mostly on our Force 10 grill/stove combo. In fact we often hang
out on board just to BBQ on deck. Cooking below will not happen often
and I sure wouldn't want to give up much useful space for that. You may
remember that I actually converted the galley on Ghost to a nav-station
area. You're 500 yards of galley space means waste of space to us.

We've
added SkyScreens to 5 or the 8 overhead hatches - highly recommended:

Luckily Beneteau built retractible shades right into the overhead
handrails that run the length of the cabin. We also have custom canvas
covers ordered from Beneteau that mean our large ports and hatches
still look like new with no crazing.

Bob brags about one very large
locker.

Storage on the 35s5 cockpit is the cavernous starboard cockpit locker.
To port is a shallow cockpit locker area with a rubber seal so you can
keep a VHF or binocs safely in there. There is a good sized wet locker
in the head and big storage in the vanity. In the aft cabin is a small
closet and good storage under the cushions. The galley storage has been
compromised by the A/C install, but the enclosed shelves that run the
length of the main cabin are deep and fine for dry goods. There is also
good storage under the nav station and coffin sized storage under one
of the settees. The table has the standard wine storage and it's
mirrored by spaces for more bottles under the settee in a teak rack.
Forward in the V are two closets and a small set of drawers. Under the
cushions is one large storage bin. The PDQ has more storage, but it's a
much larger boat overall. The 35s5 has amazing storage for a
racer/cruiser, probably as much as most other 35 foot cruisers that
aren't nearly as fast and fun.
Carefull attention to details abound. The steps are lit by two yellow
LEDs as is the base of the main cabin near the sole. The ladder on the
swimplatform folds away flush. Port shades roll away into the 4
overhead handrails in the main cabin. The storage in the head vanity
and wet locker have doors that roll up, so they don't take up space
opened. The aft cabin and head doors are curved instead of flat and
close with a substantial sound. All of the lines are run beneath the
deck cowling, including the backstay adjuster. The huge wheel is within
easy reach even when you're way up on the high side...tall enough for
the helmsman to stand on the aft bridgedeck. The steering is marvelous
as it's not based on cables.
You know, Jeff....instead of bashing our boat maybe you should come for
a sail. You might find it almost as much fun as one of those dinghys!

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff

J B wrote:
Ive always liked those , thought they were neat looking boats. How does it
sail? Dont have much use for one in central Ohio.JB

Its unlike a monohull. When a puff hits, it doesn't heel, it just
accelerates. It won't point too high (45-50 degrees true) but it will
go upwind side by side with any cruising boat. Foot off 5 to 10
degrees, and it takes off like a bandit. Tacking is tedious, it
certainly isn't good for short tacking out a channel. Light air is
another sore point, because the large wetted surface starts to
dominate. However, in 10 knots and over will do about half the wind
speed. It continues to hold this ratio up to 12 to 15 knots of boat
speed, depending on how long you hold off on reefing.

One aspect of cats is that the lack of a heavy keel means the rig
doesn't have to be large. In moderate to heavy wind we can travel
with 45 to 50 footers, but only carry the sail of a 32-35 footer.
There was a tall rig offered for the late models, for the benefit of
some light air buyers. Under power she'll do about 8 knots,
motorsailing in light air we're likely to do 8.5 to 9 knots. For
travel planning I figure 7.5 knots overall, but its not uncommon to do
50 miles in 6 hours. On a trans-Atlantic a sistership did just under
1000 miles on one 5 day stretch.

Handling in tight quarters is easy with the two engines, but since she
gets bounced around by the wind you need a firm hand. The only real
problem is that we're often at face docks with other boats fore and
aft, and the cat doesn't do "sideways" very well. We've learned to be
creative with spring lines. Crunches are avoided at the dock because
it only weighs 9000 pounds and responds quickly to the engines.

Capt. JG

We were doing some MOB practice on a Seawind on the bay last year.. wind
speed about 20kts. As we tacked through, intending to go on an eventual
broad reach, the cat, being a cat, somewhat stalled during the tack and
started to back slightly. As soon as it fell off a bit and completed the
turn, sails filling, it took off so fast that I clearly had the sensation of
my head being snapped back... it was that dramatic. One of the crew had to
grab something or she would have surely fell down. That was fun!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
J B wrote:
[...]

Capt. Rob

It won't point too high (45-50 degrees true) but it will
go upwind side by side with any cruising boat.

What modern cruising boat can't get higher than 45 degrees true. Most
can get well into the upper or even mid 30s nowadays. Are you comparing
to Westsail 32's and ancient Southern Cross boats?

RB
35s5...a close winded boat
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
It won't point too high (45-50 degrees true) but it will
go upwind side by side with any cruising boat.

What modern cruising boat can't get higher than 45 degrees true.

Your's won't have a significantly better VMG by pointing any higher.

Most
can get well into the upper or even mid 30s nowadays.

Please show us the polars for a cruising boat whose optimal VMG is in
the mid 30's. I posted the Beneteau 407 polars which shows the
optimal at slightly below 40 in very high wind. Of course, that's for
idealized conditions, and doesn't take into account waves or leeway.

And its optimal VMG is only a few percent faster than at 45 degrees;
with leeway its probably slower.

Are you comparing
to Westsail 32's and ancient Southern Cross boats?

Come on Bob, show us the polars for any boat that's in the mid 30's. A
few will do it, though it doesn't get them upwind any faster.

You really don't know much about sailing, do you Bob?

RB
35s5...it breaks wind
NY

Damn dam dammit Don White General 5 October 18th 05 12:59 AM
Damn dam dammit bright side keith_nuttle General 0 October 16th 05 03:54 PM
Damn dam dammit Eisboch General 4 October 16th 05 12:17 PM
Damn dam dammit PocoLoco General 1 October 16th 05 12:18 AM
Damn dam dammit *JimH* General 0 October 15th 05 10:46 PM