Capt. Rob

Default Pretty Damn Qrappy!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the PDQ is pretty
slick,

Good god.

not much helm feel, but
pretty relaxing on a 100 mile passage.

I prefer some helm feel. You need to buy Doug's trawler when he steps
up to a houseboat.

but frankly I never
liked using a "fore and aft" head on a boat that heels 45 degrees.

We didn't have a problem, but then we were only heeled 25% at most. I
said the PDQ has a nice head. Probably the best feature.

That's about 10 feet of counter space.

I'd trade it for a bigger head in a heartbeat. Jeff, like many folks we
cook mostly on our Force 10 grill/stove combo. In fact we often hang
out on board just to BBQ on deck. Cooking below will not happen often
and I sure wouldn't want to give up much useful space for that. You may
remember that I actually converted the galley on Ghost to a nav-station
area. You're 500 yards of galley space means waste of space to us.

We've
added SkyScreens to 5 or the 8 overhead hatches - highly recommended:

Luckily Beneteau built retractible shades right into the overhead
handrails that run the length of the cabin. We also have custom canvas
covers ordered from Beneteau that mean our large ports and hatches
still look like new with no crazing.

Bob brags about one very large
locker.

Storage on the 35s5 cockpit is the cavernous starboard cockpit locker.
To port is a shallow cockpit locker area with a rubber seal so you can
keep a VHF or binocs safely in there. There is a good sized wet locker
in the head and big storage in the vanity. In the aft cabin is a small
closet and good storage under the cushions. The galley storage has been
compromised by the A/C install, but the enclosed shelves that run the
length of the main cabin are deep and fine for dry goods. There is also
good storage under the nav station and coffin sized storage under one
of the settees. The table has the standard wine storage and it's
mirrored by spaces for more bottles under the settee in a teak rack.
Forward in the V are two closets and a small set of drawers. Under the
cushions is one large storage bin. The PDQ has more storage, but it's a
much larger boat overall. The 35s5 has amazing storage for a
racer/cruiser, probably as much as most other 35 foot cruisers that
aren't nearly as fast and fun.
Carefull attention to details abound. The steps are lit by two yellow
LEDs as is the base of the main cabin near the sole. The ladder on the
swimplatform folds away flush. Port shades roll away into the 4
overhead handrails in the main cabin. The storage in the head vanity
and wet locker have doors that roll up, so they don't take up space
opened. The aft cabin and head doors are curved instead of flat and
close with a substantial sound. All of the lines are run beneath the
deck cowling, including the backstay adjuster. The huge wheel is within
easy reach even when you're way up on the high side...tall enough for
the helmsman to stand on the aft bridgedeck. The steering is marvelous
as it's not based on cables.
You know, Jeff....instead of bashing our boat maybe you should come for
a sail. You might find it almost as much fun as one of those dinghys!

RB
35s5
NY