Ed

Default Glue & Stitch plans

Anybody know any free plans for a stitch and glue dinghy out there.

Thanks in advance

dadiOH

Ed wrote:
Anybody know any free plans for a stitch and glue dinghy out there.

Thanks in advance

Click on "D4 files". They are not real great plans (small) but are
sufficient to build. In fact, I'm building one now.
http://www.bateau.com/free/freeplans.htm

And here's a (relatively) cheap source for epoxy & fiberglass...
http://www.uscomposites.com/

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

William R. Watt

look through the free plans at www.boat-links.com
also Gavin Atkins' links. you can get to his website from
www.duckworksmagazine.com under boat plans.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Denis Marier

I have all the cut outs done ready to be stitched and glued.
In Canada the price of epoxy resin is more expensive then the United states.
I wonder how much epoxy and fiberglass tape are you anticipating you will
need to complete the D4 dinghy.
As for price I will check with US composites and RAKA. I wonder which one
has better rating? Here (Canada) the West System goes for about 128.00 CAD
per gallon plus the cost of the hardener and pumps.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
Anybody know any free plans for a stitch and glue dinghy out there.

Thanks in advance

Click on "D4 files". They are not real great plans (small) but are
sufficient to build. In fact, I'm building one now.
http://www.bateau.com/free/freeplans.htm

And here's a (relatively) cheap source for epoxy & fiberglass...
http://www.uscomposites.com/

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

William R. Watt

"Denis Marier" ) writes:
I have all the cut outs done ready to be stitched and glued.
In Canada the price of epoxy resin is more expensive then the United states.
I wonder how much epoxy and fiberglass tape are you anticipating you will
need to complete the D4 dinghy.
As for price I will check with US composites and RAKA. I wonder which one
has better rating? Here (Canada) the West System goes for about 128.00 CAD
per gallon plus the cost of the hardener and pumps.

have you tried looking under "plastics" in the yellow pages for a low cost
local supplier? I decided to build my boats with screwed and
polyurethane-glued chine battens instead of taped epoxy to save money, but
when I was shopping around the best price I got was from a distributer in
an industrial park.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Denis Marier

Yes, I have been looking around in Saint John, New Brunswick on the North
Shore and Halifax Nova Scotia with no avail. The best deal around here is
the West System and East System. Most of the people order their epoxy from
the United States and pick it up at the animal feed store at the US border
(about one hour from here). To do a good job on building the D4 I think I
might need two gallons plus hardener?

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

"Denis Marier" ) writes:
[...]

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

dadiOH

Denis Marier wrote:
I have all the cut outs done ready to be stitched and glued.
In Canada the price of epoxy resin is more expensive then the United
states. I wonder how much epoxy and fiberglass tape are you
anticipating you will need to complete the D4 dinghy.

More than I thought. I started with 1 gallon epoxy + 42.5 oz. hardener,
just ordered another of the same (won't use it all). If you just do
fillets + tape on the seams, the original amount should be more than
enough but I'm covering all - inside & out - with 6 oz. glass cloth.
That needs about 1 oz. per square foot per coat and I'll need at least
two, probably three coats.
________________

As for price I will check with US composites and RAKA.

US Composites is $49.50 vs $87 for what I am using. Better prices on
most other stuff too...Cabosil, talc...
____________________

I wonder which one has better rating?

No idea but the stuff I've been using is just fine. Heck, if it weren't
for the fact that all the soil in Florida is sand I probably would have
used polyester resin.
___________________

Here (Canada) the West System goes for
about 128.00 CAD per gallon plus the cost of the hardener and pumps.

It's "OUCH" here too.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Denis Marier

From the price you mentioned I take it that you are using a medium hardener
of 3 : 1 ratio.
Over here the off season temperature seldom gets above 70F let alone the
winter. At time we have to use heat lamps.
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Denis Marier wrote:
[...]

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I paid about $45 for the plans for
my nesting stitch and glue "Two-Paw-9" dinghy and was very happy with
them. She turned out very well and when you think about it, $45 is
nothing compared to what a good dinghy costs new.

Roger Derby

On my first boat, I covered the inside as well as the outside with glass &
epoxy. This (and some other mistakes) added 20 lbs to the design weight
(100 lbs vs. 80lbs) and lots of money for epoxy.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

kayak plans second post k General 8 November 27th 05 01:10 AM
WTB Kayak plans k General 15 November 14th 05 09:11 PM
Plans for cedar strip type round bottom sailing skiff [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 29th 05 01:22 AM
New Solo Canoe Building Plans JEM Boat Building 0 October 23rd 05 11:33 AM