William R. Watt

Default estimates for human waste?

TF Jones uses an estimate of 7 lb of food and drink per person per day.
After its been digested and collected in a bucket he dumps it over the
side where its no longer a design issue. We have laws against that. What
does it weight and how much volume does it take up on the boat? Can't find
anything on this in Skene's or nor do I recall seeing the info in any
other design books from the public library. Thanks.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

If you really want the all nasty details, I found them for a paper I
wrote last year on the Saxton bill. The average human produces 2.5
pounds of excreta per day. 2 lb of that is urine and .5 lb is feces.
Water makes up 75% of the feces and 94% of the urine. The average
density of the combined material is 58 lb/cu.ft so Capt. Neal does not
have to empty his one cubic foot cedar bucket but once every 3 weeks. :-)

If you are using something more sophisticated than a cedar bucket, like
a toilet, you need to first know how much flush water it needs. Then
multiply by 5.25, the average number of flushes per day per person,
times the number of people on board.

Now, Aren't you sorry you asked? :-)

William R. Watt wrote:

TF Jones uses an estimate of 7 lb of food and drink per person per day.
After its been digested and collected in a bucket he dumps it over the
side where its no longer a design issue. We have laws against that. What
does it weight and how much volume does it take up on the boat? Can't find
anything on this in Skene's or nor do I recall seeing the info in any
other design books from the public library. Thanks.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Peggie Hall

William R. Watt wrote:
TF Jones uses an estimate of 7 lb of food and drink per person per day.
After its been digested and collected in a bucket he dumps it over the
side where its no longer a design issue. We have laws against that. What
does it weight and how much volume does it take up on the boat? Can't find
anything on this in Skene's or nor do I recall seeing the info in any
other design books from the public library. Thanks.

Waste and water weigh the same amount: 8.333 lbs/gallon. There are 231
cu inches in a gallon...so how much it weighs and how much room it takes
up on a boat depends on the size of the tank it's stored in.

Add the weight of the tank itself and 10% to the volume of the waste to
arrive actual weight size of the tank.

On average, adults use the toilet 5x/day...average output (including
solids) per use: 6-8 liquid oz. Volume of flush water can vary from a
quart or so to 1-2 gal/flush, depending on the type of toilet and user's
flushing skills.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

sour (max camirand)

Off-topic, but you don't live near Laurier east of King Edward, do you
Mr Watt? I saw a small boat in progress near there today, and you're
the only Ottawa boatbuilder I know of that doesn't use epoxy :-)

-m

William R. Watt

William R. Watt ) writes:
TF Jones uses an estimate of 7 lb of food and drink per person per day.
After its been digested and collected in a bucket he dumps it over the
side where its no longer a design issue. We have laws against that. What
does it weight and how much volume does it take up on the boat? Can't find
anything on this in Skene's or nor do I recall seeing the info in any
other design books from the public library. Thanks.

Thanks for the usefull data. At 58 lb / cu ft human waste would go next to
paper (also 58 lb / cu ft) in Skene's table of weights of materials. I
hope it appears in any future edition.

I have experimented at home with reducing flush water by peeing in a
bucket and emptying it in the toilette only when there is feces to flush.
It cuts flushing to 1-2 times per day not counting false alarms.
That's better than putting a brick in the reservoir tank.

Small boat cruising has been compared to backpacking and in some
environmentally sensitive areas backpackers carry their waste out.
Small boat cruisers still have room to manouver.

to answer the other question, that boat is in the east end of Ottawa. I am
in the west end. There must be amateur boatbuilders in Ottawa. TF Jones'
books are often out on loan from the public library.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

Keith wrote:

So you can save a lot of volume by peeing straight overboard. Just watch the
wind!

Yes, but I think there are some statistics kept on how many MOB drowning
victims are found with their fly open. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ron Thornton

William,

You can save water by peeing into the toilet tank.

Regards, Ron

Peggie Hall

You can save water by peeing into the toilet tank.

The lee rail is a lot easier, and using it is also legal.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Keith

Technically, if you pee in a bucket, or coffee can, or any other container,
it's
"contained" and cannot be dumped overboard within the three mile limit. Hate
to rain, er, nevermind...

"WaIIy" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:23:38 -0500 (EST), (Ron Thornton)
wrote:

William,

You can save water by peeing into the toilet tank.

Regards, Ron

LOL

I was wondering about his toilet habits. Water must be pretty scarce if
he pees in a bucket.

He could always recycle and never have to flush his toilet at all.

Post at Rec.Boat.cruising, Not here. its a waste. Florida Keyz General 14 April 12th 04 11:52 PM
Unclogging a waste tank vent JML General 5 September 19th 03 02:07 PM
Clogged Waste Tank Vent JML General 3 September 17th 03 02:47 AM
Clogged waste tank vent RG General 0 September 15th 03 10:50 AM