Peggie Hall

Default estimates for human waste?

William R. Watt wrote:
TF Jones uses an estimate of 7 lb of food and drink per person per day.
After its been digested and collected in a bucket he dumps it over the
side where its no longer a design issue. We have laws against that. What
does it weight and how much volume does it take up on the boat? Can't find
anything on this in Skene's or nor do I recall seeing the info in any
other design books from the public library. Thanks.

Waste and water weigh the same amount: 8.333 lbs/gallon. There are 231
cu inches in a gallon...so how much it weighs and how much room it takes
up on a boat depends on the size of the tank it's stored in.

Add the weight of the tank itself and 10% to the volume of the waste to
arrive actual weight size of the tank.

On average, adults use the toilet 5x/day...average output (including
solids) per use: 6-8 liquid oz. Volume of flush water can vary from a
quart or so to 1-2 gal/flush, depending on the type of toilet and user's
flushing skills.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"