Glenn Ashmore

Default estimates for human waste?

If you really want the all nasty details, I found them for a paper I
wrote last year on the Saxton bill. The average human produces 2.5
pounds of excreta per day. 2 lb of that is urine and .5 lb is feces.
Water makes up 75% of the feces and 94% of the urine. The average
density of the combined material is 58 lb/cu.ft so Capt. Neal does not
have to empty his one cubic foot cedar bucket but once every 3 weeks. :-)

If you are using something more sophisticated than a cedar bucket, like
a toilet, you need to first know how much flush water it needs. Then
multiply by 5.25, the average number of flushes per day per person,
times the number of people on board.

Now, Aren't you sorry you asked? :-)

William R. Watt wrote:

TF Jones uses an estimate of 7 lb of food and drink per person per day.
After its been digested and collected in a bucket he dumps it over the
side where its no longer a design issue. We have laws against that. What
does it weight and how much volume does it take up on the boat? Can't find
anything on this in Skene's or nor do I recall seeing the info in any
other design books from the public library. Thanks.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com