Brillo

Default Repower Grady White

I have a 1983 Grady White Seafarer 22" IO. The engine is the old Merc
Cruiser 488. 4 cylinder 188 hp. FWC. This motor is just about done and I am
considering repowering with a Mercruiser 4.3 L V6 carburated 190 hp. Does
anyone have any experience with this job? Any problems or major pit falls I
need to watch out for? Thanks.

Ron White

You may find one of those after market Mercuiser repair manuals helpful. The
ones I had contained charts listing all the gear ratios for each engine
type. Find your old engine and your new (proposed) engine and see if they
have the same or similar gear ratios. This give some preview of any mismatch
between old outdrive and new engine.
The swap will be expensive unless you can find some used parts. You will
need a new bell housing, and probably the drive coupling on the flywheel. If
FWC then you will need and exchanger that will match up with new engine.
Then you will need a complete engine ,all accessories, flame arrestor and on
and on. Plan on sending a bunch unless you find a complete used unit then
you may be buying some thing that is not much better. I would seriously
consider a rebuild unless you are really dissatisfied with the original
setup. With the rebuild you don't need anything much except mainly internal
engine parts. Still this is an 83 and it is still running, looks like you
and the boat are doing well together as it is?

--
Ron White
My boatbuilding website is:

bowgus

If it was me, and I had an engine that put out 188 hp, I would first look
into the cost to rebuild that engine rather than pull it out to replace it
with a 190 hp engine. And I'd guess your 4 cyl is lighter than the 6 cyl,
likely giving better overall performance due to the weight difference. Maybe
there's a stroker kit? Supercharger :-)