Bryan B

Default Bedding windows

Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Thanks,

Bryan

Larry

Bryan,
We did ours with that molded rubber trim (with the insert) with good
results.

If the cutout itself supports the window, then you can use something like 3M
5200 or other sealant, but I would not depend on the sealer alone for
support (only for the seal).

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

"Bryan B" wrote in message
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Thanks,

Bryan

Brian D

Silicon should be considered a 'temporary' sealant. My experience is that
it always leaks, sooner than expected.

3M 5200 will guarantee you don't get that window out again ...I'd save 5200
for more permanent installations. It *does* seal well though. It's your
call.

My vote would be for a polysulfide like SikaFlex. I would also vote for
water channels and other physical features that allow water that does happen
to leak (assuming it does at some point) to drain away.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Bryan B" wrote in message
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Thanks,

Bryan

Lew Hodgett

"Bryan B" writes:
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Check with SikaFlex, it is either 295 or 296 that is specifically designed
for this job.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Bryan B

Thanks all.

I'll try the SikaFlex 296 UV.

I have used Life Caulk polysulfide and it did not hold up, tried silicone
and it seems to be holding but looks like it will eventually leak. I am
very learry of using 5200 in this application. Someday the window will
again need replacement.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bryan B" writes:
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck

opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Check with SikaFlex, it is either 295 or 296 that is specifically designed
for this job.

HTH

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Jerry W

I've had very good results with silicone rubber sealant. I note that West
Marine's catalog guide section specifically recommends against using
polysulfides on plastic and this confirms my experience. The sealant never
really cures at the interface with the plastic. Their catalog features a 3M
product designated 4000UV which is "highly recommended for ABS, Lexan and
other plastics". I have no experience with this material and would be
interested in hearing from anyone who has.
"Bryan B" wrote in message
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Thanks,

Bryan

Brian D

Wow! I didn't know you shouldn't use polysulfides with plastics. Given
that little tidbit, I think I'd try their 4000UV product (after finding out
what it is.) I've had trouble with silicon leaking, including marine
varieties, and don't buy it for anything anymore...just walk right past it
and buy something else.

Brian

"Bryan B" wrote in message
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck

opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Thanks,

Bryan

Jerry W

As a point of clarification...there is a difference between clear silicone
sealant and silicon rubber. The product I referred to is marketed by
Boatlife and is called "Marine Silicone Rubber". It has worked well for me
sealing Plexiglas ports to fiberglass. FWIW!

"Bryan B" wrote in message
Any suggestions for bedding plexiglass window to fiberglass deck

opening.
Polysulfide, Silicone, or another material?Which brand?

Thanks,

Bryan

ddi

Do not use polysulfide.
It expands when wet, to make a seal, and
will "pop" out the window.
Use a caulk made for windows.