Greg

Default Cabin overhead/ceiling? finish

Hey gang!
I need some advice.
I have been restoring an older boat. It had a overhead sort of like older
cars had, with the hollow areas behind the material. It was stapled at the
edges and streched. Due to the mold and filth and tears I removed it today.
Lots of mold behind and rotted wood stringers, so it was the right decision.
Now I need to come up with a new overhead. What options do I possibly have
now? I do not want to use wood, such as paneling due to the odd shapes to
deal with and the weight. Perhaps some sort of rubberized paint?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett

Rufus

You could look at the GRP sheets at the home centers. Commonly used for
kitchen and bath walls where health departments are involved. Two or
three colors, usually a pebble finish (maybe you could use the back as
the finish surface). Seams and corners user plastic extrusions to join
the sheets. Easy to clean and color fast. The weak spot is probably the
plastic extrusions - don't know how they last. Come in 4x8 and 4x10 and
4x12 (I think), but you probably will only find the 4x8 at the home
center.

Rufus
Keith

Find someone in the yellow pages who does auto headliner replacement. They
can put some very nice looking stuff up there, your choice of colors and
materials and it'll look great. Or for that retro look, try some orange shag
carpet.

"Greg" wrote in message
Hey gang!
I need some advice.
I have been restoring an older boat. It had a overhead sort of like older
cars had, with the hollow areas behind the material. It was stapled at

the
edges and streched. Due to the mold and filth and tears I removed it

today.
Lots of mold behind and rotted wood stringers, so it was the right

decision.
Now I need to come up with a new overhead. What options do I possibly

have
now? I do not want to use wood, such as paneling due to the odd shapes to
deal with and the weight. Perhaps some sort of rubberized paint?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett

Derek

I cannot give an opinion on material but last week I looked at a 1968 Owens Aruba with a new
headliner. They had installed miniature potlights within the headliner (similar to halogen) and had
about 8 or so of them. Two were over the galley sink area. Very nice job. The lights were mounted
into a thin piece of ply (which you could not see) and hidden beneath the new plastic like
headliner. The material looked stretchy and very washable. I am sure you could ask around any
marina and they could advise you but I recommend the light installation thing. Very attractive
semi-hidden lights.

Good luck in your search
Derek

"Greg" wrote in message ...
| Hey gang!
| I need some advice.
| I have been restoring an older boat. It had a overhead sort of like older
| cars had, with the hollow areas behind the material. It was stapled at the
| edges and streched. Due to the mold and filth and tears I removed it today.
| Lots of mold behind and rotted wood stringers, so it was the right decision.
| Now I need to come up with a new overhead. What options do I possibly have
| now? I do not want to use wood, such as paneling due to the odd shapes to
| deal with and the weight. Perhaps some sort of rubberized paint?
| Thanks,
| Greg Luckett

| http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
| -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Greg

Derek,
That sounds like what I have removed. I do not like voids behind the
material that cannot be accessed and can hold moisture and molds. You are
right that the exterior side is cleanable.
Thanks anyway,
Greg Luckett

ble.rogers.com...

"Greg" wrote in message

| Hey gang!
| I need some advice.
| I have been restoring an older boat. It had a overhead sort of like

older
| cars had, with the hollow areas behind the material. It was stapled at

the
| edges and streched. Due to the mold and filth and tears I removed it

today.
| Lots of mold behind and rotted wood stringers, so it was the right

decision.
| Now I need to come up with a new overhead. What options do I possibly

have
| now? I do not want to use wood, such as paneling due to the odd shapes

| deal with and the weight. Perhaps some sort of rubberized paint?
| Thanks,
| Greg Luckett

| http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
| -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Ron Thornton

Greg,

I just bent some to a 12 in radius. Heat might ge you more and there is
a fair variation in this batch to batch.

Ron

Rusty O

Try http://www.whisperwalls.com/

I saw this at the Seattle Lake Union boat show a few years ago, really nice
stuff.

Glenn Ashmore

We did a lease buildout for a tenant using Whisperwall in the confrence
and reception areas. Amazing stuff but it has a fabric cover. Might be
OK in a big yacht with 7 or 8' high cabin tops but it would be mighty
delicate for a boat interior with only a little over 6' of clearance.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Repair Maxum Cabin Door MC General 5 May 18th 04 08:24 PM
Mold & Mildew on fabric in Cabin Wklkj General 5 April 23rd 04 02:07 PM
Sea Ray 340. On topic, but be warned....... Gould 0738 General 59 April 17th 04 02:24 AM
Trailer Galvanized finish question z1r1200cc General 8 November 7th 03 05:10 AM
FS: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater w/ heat exchanger johng650 General 0 October 14th 03 05:03 AM