Roger Derby

Default How to Repair the Bottom of a 1,000-lb Boat?

Go to http://www.westsystem.com/ hit the "PROJECTS" tab, then select
"TENACIOUS, a look back" Scroll down about 2/3rds of the way to see the
scheme used for this tall ship (and for submarines).

On a more constructive note, I've seen photos (which I can't find) of
home-built rings slapped together from plywood. One does want level ground
for the turning.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering how people get access to the bottom of a boat for
repair. If the boat is light, we can simply turn it upside down. But if
the boat is around 1,000-lb, I doubt that we can turn it upside down
just by manpower. Unfortunately, in a home environment, we don't have
the heavey equipment to turn a boat upside down. How do people get
around with this problem?

Is there a way to safely and easily turn a boat upside down for
repairing the bottom of the hull using manpower and some kind of
home-made jigs?

Roger Derby

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering how people get access to the bottom of a boat for
repair. If the boat is light, we can simply turn it upside down. But if
the boat is around 1,000-lb, I doubt that we can turn it upside down
just by manpower. Unfortunately, in a home environment, we don't have
the heavy equipment to turn a boat upside down. How do people get
around with this problem?

Is there a way to safely and easily turn a boat upside down for
repairing the bottom of the hull using manpower and some kind of
home-made jigs?

Go to http://www.westsystem.com/ hit the "PROJECTS" tab,
then select "TENACIOUS, a look back" Scroll down about
2/3rds of the way to see the scheme used for this tall
ship (and for submarines).

That big boat-roller is beyond me. I think I will just settle with
fixing the hull in place or just avoid those old boats that have a lot
of damages in the bottom of the hull.

On a more constructive note, I've seen photos (which I
can't find) of home-built rings slapped together from
plywood. One does want level ground for the turning.

I can see problem getting the boat off the trailer even with home built
rings. I think I would be more than happy just to jack the boat up a
couple feet higher. But I am better off avoiding the problem all
together by selecting boats that don't have a lot of damages in the
bottom.

Jay Chan

William R. Watt

) writes:
Jaykc.. please exchouse that don't know all the english words , but
what I tried to show is the way I done such repair several times , ----
emagine you could find a simular boat and the owner was a nice guy .
Then you find the same area of his boat and simply make a small mold
covering the hole in your boat, so when you repair the hole you cast
the form from a simular boat.

I recall that discussion and recall pointing out that all he has to do is
walk around to the other side of his own boat to make a matching mould,
most boats being symetrical.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

I can see problem getting the boat off the trailer even with home built
rings. I think I would be more than happy just to jack the boat up a
couple feet higher. But I am better off avoiding the problem all
together by selecting boats that don't have a lot of damages in the
bottom.

The bottom may not need repair but it will need cleaning and painting from
time to time so you're not quite out of the woods yet.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

The bottom may not need repair but it will need cleaning
and painting from time to time so you're not quite out
of the woods yet.

I see. But I will leave the boat on a trailer most of the time. I guess
the boat probably doesn't need to clean and paint that often (unless I
beach it by accident).

Jay Chan

imagineero

rolling a boat, or any other heavy object need not be a dramatic
affair. In my work place we regularly roll or move objects weighing up
to 4000lbs wiith just two people. if you are lucky enough to have
structural overhead beams then chain blocks are quick and easy, if not
you can often build some sort of a fram for very little money (sub $50
if you use scrap metals) and can weld. if you cant weld, buy a second
hand stick welder and learn. i bought my first welder for $50 and
after reading a bit on it was competent enough to make decent welds.
within a month i could weld high strenth suspension components for
competition jeeps. 5 years later im a structurally certified welder in
most positions for stick and mig. one you get a welder you'll be
surprised at how you ever get by without one. it is to steel what
resin is to glass. a million uses.

if you dont have these means or dont want to get involved then use your
head instead. levers and pulleys give a _tremendous_ amount of
mechanical advantage if you understand a few basic principles. If you
have a couple of strong sawhorses or plenty of loose lumber its
actually pretty simple to move or roll anything if you're not in a
hurry. I've pulled stuck jeeps out of rivers with nothing more than a
bit of rope and some lengths of pole found at a construction site down
the road. many of the greatest marvels of the world were bilt with no
more technology than this; look at all the enourmous stone statues, the
pyramids ;-)

... levers and pulleys give a _tremendous_ amount of
mechanical advantage if you understand a few basic
principles...

Thanks for your suggestion. But at this point, I think I will avoid a
boat that has many major damages in the bottom that are so severe that
require me to roll the boat up to have a clear way of the bottom. I
figure that if I narrow my selection to boats that have very limited
damage (if any) in the bottom, I probably can get by without rolling
the boat.

Jay Chan

american marine 23???? jds General 8 October 13th 05 01:45 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM
How to Choose the Right Used Boat to Fix It Up? [email protected] Boat Building 14 October 12th 05 06:11 PM
Boat Repair MarshallE Boat Building 6 October 11th 05 02:42 PM