MarshallE

Default Boat Repair

Hi,

Is it realistic that a boatyard can not offer an estimate for the repair of
old wood boats with rotten wood? What is the typical hourly rate for good
boat carpentry? My boat is an 80 footer and is located mid-atlantic east
coast.
Who are some high quality honest companies?
thanks,
me

Lew Hodgett

MarshallE wrote:

Is it realistic that a boatyard can not offer an estimate for the repair of
old wood boats with rotten wood? What is the typical hourly rate for good
boat carpentry? My boat is an 80 footer and is located mid-atlantic east
coast.
Who are some high quality honest companies?

If you can find a yard that will even consider pulling a wooden boat,
much less work on it, kiss the yard owner's rear end and get on with it.

Around here, if you can find a yard that will allow you to bring in a
wood boat, expect to post a cash bond of at least $10,000 to cover the
cost of getting rid of it when you abandon it.

Lew

"MarshallE" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Is it realistic that a boatyard can not offer an estimate for the repair

of
old wood boats with rotten wood?

In many cases estimates cannot (or will not) be made as more dryrot is
usually hidden behind the visible damage.

P.C. Ford

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 03:38:20 GMT, "MarshallE"
wrote:

Hi,

Is it realistic that a boatyard can not offer an estimate for the repair of
old wood boats with rotten wood? What is the typical hourly rate for good
boat carpentry? My boat is an 80 footer and is located mid-atlantic east
coast.
Who are some high quality honest companies?
thanks,
me

I've been a boatwright for 30 years; only a fool would bid a dry rot
job. And many guys would give an estimate because it somehow seems to
morph into a bid in the clients mind. Rot spreads from the inside out.
It almost invariably more extensive than first thought.

I have no idea how much east coast shop time is. In Seattle it is $40
to $60. My guess is that is somewhat less on the east coast. On the
last major job I worked on, a 70 footer, the hit to the owner for
interior joinerwork was $15k a week. Then there were other crafts
working on the job as well.

You shouldn't have a problem finding honest yards, if you have the
means. Honest yards are looking for good clients.

DSK

P.C. Ford wrote:
You shouldn't have a problem finding honest yards, if you have the
means. Honest yards are looking for good clients.

"If you have the means" is a key phrase. Many many boat owners with
large expensive boats very much prefer to do things the cheapest way
possible. As soon as they hear a phrase like "$15K per week in the shop"
they immediately start screaming "What a bunch of THIEVES!"

Then they run to Home Depot and buy an industrial size can of water
putty (it's just as good as Bondo, never mind that expensive epoxy
stuff... really it is!)

I've only worked on other peoples boats as a hobby, but last time I was
going to help an acquaintance put in some hi-amp wiring and realized
he'd bought heavy gage speaker wire from Radio Shack instead of proper
marine wire, I shook my head and left him there. BTW this was on a boat
that he'd paid well into 6 figures for, and moored it with undersize
nylon rope from Home Depot. It's amazing what people will do.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

P.C. Ford

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:04:29 -0400, DSK wrote:

P.C. Ford wrote:
You shouldn't have a problem finding honest yards, if you have the
means. Honest yards are looking for good clients.

"If you have the means" is a key phrase. Many many boat owners with
large expensive boats very much prefer to do things the cheapest way
possible. As soon as they hear a phrase like "$15K per week in the shop"
they immediately start screaming "What a bunch of THIEVES!"

The strange thing is that I pay, and I suppose most people pay about
$70 an hour for someone to work on a car. But somehow boatwrights
don't deserve a living wage.

'Round here it takes $40 charged out to make a living.

"You mean you want me to forego necessities so that you can have a
luxory?"
Don Dando

As a boat restorer the reason is that with obvious rotten wood, how much
more is there after they get started? What should the estimate be based on.
i.e.; What you can see from the outside, worse case, update estimate as you
go?

I refuse boats where the customer wants an estimate knowing that in many
cases I can not stick with the estimate so why give a customer false hopes
or limit myself on doing a top notch job by cutting corners to stay within
the estimate?

As I encounter severe unexpected challenges I contact the customer and have
him examine what I have found and let him help make the decision on how he
wants me to proceed with HIS boat. If it is a "Cheap & Dirty make do, I may
refuse to continue knowing that my reputation is on the line. If he chooses
to stop the project the owes me my $45/hr up to that point or he is invited
to enjoy a hot dog roast over his boat with me.

I try to get into suspect areas pretty quickly so I'm not in too deep with
my investment of time.

Out of dozens of boats, we have only had one "Hot Dog" roast, so to speak!

Don Dando

Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire [email protected] General 81 October 13th 05 05:48 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM
Coming To A Boat Near You? Ed Stasiak General 31 October 12th 05 06:37 PM
Notes from a demo of the Selene 48 [email protected] General 2 October 7th 05 01:05 AM