Default Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire

This is fun;

I'm working on a filler piece this evening that recounts the history of
the local Bayliner dealer. (The firm just celebrated its 50th
anniversary, although it did not sell Bayliner for some years after it
was founded).

I've got three brochure photos for some really old Bayliner models.
A Mutiny, a Discovery, and a Cornet. These boats are 16, 17 and 19 feet
in length.

Back in the day, models posing in some boat brochure photos were
dressed in business suits! The skipper is dressed in a shirt, jacket,
tie, the whole works. In one photo of the suit and tie boater, his
female passenger is dressed in a business dress and sports a "bee hive"
hairdo. In another photo, two women are out in a boat, and one of them
is wearing a very modest two-piece bathing suit. It was probably
considered "risque" in its era.

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The Chapman's book I had in the 1960s contained an entire section on proper
wardrobe for the yacht club. It specified uniforms for certain people. My
dad had a business acquaintance who docked his 75' toy in Sands Point, Long
Island. The guy was referred to as "admiral" by his chums at the club, and
certainly by the dock boys, of course. I asked my dad once if the guy had
been in the Navy. He said no, and the "admiral" thing was just an
affectation among the clubby types.

Un-friggin-believable.

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

The yacht clubby types tend to take their club rank seriously. It's
really kind of laughable.

My father's boatyard was almost next door to a snooty yacht club in the
same harbor. He joined because I wanted to race sailboats in the junior
program when I was a kid, but he refused to get involved in the
hierarchy. For fun, we went to social events at a blue collar boat club,
where no one was an "ossifer with a title."

Actually, the NG does have a snooty, holier than thou, commodore yachty
type participant. You might want to ask Commodore Chucky about it.

--
Skipper

Don White

Skipper wrote:

Actually, the NG does have a snooty, holier than thou, commodore yachty
type participant. You might want to ask Commodore Chucky about it.

--
Skipper

Would the 'real' Snipper please stand up.

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

The yacht clubby types tend to take their club rank seriously. It's
really kind of laughable.

My father's boatyard was almost next door to a snooty yacht club in the
same harbor. He joined because I wanted to race sailboats in the junior
program when I was a kid, but he refused to get involved in the
hierarchy. For fun, we went to social events at a blue collar boat club,
where no one was an "ossifer with a title."

Actually, the NG does have a snooty, holier than thou, commodore yachty
type participant. You might want to ask Commodore Chucky about it.

--
Skipper

Aha. Psuedo now runs from his unsupportable claims that I am a "liar"
(offers no evidence of any type) simply to show up in this thread and
start a new line of personal attack. Do you ever tire of being a sick,
twisted, negative minded little butt barnacle, Psuedo?

I'd love to know upon what basis you characterize me as "Commodore
Chucky". I have never served in that capacity in any club. (Board
Chairman is a different office, attending to the business aspects
rather than the social aspects of the organization). I have not even
been a member of any yacht club for a few years. But then again, the
truth has never been an important element in your endless bowel
movement of personal attacks has it, Psuedo? How sad to end up in life
as a broken down, bitter, boatless old man with nothing to do but crank
out bitchy little insults to virtual strangers all around the world.
Man, that has got to be one depressing fate. Sorry for your loss (of
self respect), Psuedo.

The real Skipper appeared, for all intents and purposes, to be a member
of the KKK. He really launched some zingers about blacks and jews a
couple of times. I used to belong to a yacht club, but I've never
belonged to any organization that preached hatred and intolerance.
Given the choice between one and the other, I'd take the yacht club any
day.

GFYS. (Stands for: good for you, "skipper", of course).

PocoLoco

On 10 Oct 2005 16:01:30 -0700, wrote:

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

Sure does sound like you're talking to Harry! When Harry started his **** with
me, I got ****ed. Made an ass out of myself. I've since learned to laugh at his
foolishness and chalk it up to NPD.

You now seem to be having the same problems several in the group have had with
Krause. Pain in the butt, isn't it?

Filter him, 'cause it's sounding more and more like he's for real.

--
John H

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

Ronald Reagan
Starbuck's Words of Wisdom

Chuck,

Skipper has made a few comments about your integrity and you go ballistic.
JimH should not have allowed your personal attacks on him to **** him off,
but it did. Maybe you owe him an apology, you know what they say about
Karma.

ps - This Skipper is Dave Mann from Derby Kansas. He is the person you
meet in person, it is not a Pseudo.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Starbuck's Words of Wisdom wrote:
Chuck,

Skipper has made a few comments about your integrity and you go ballistic.

I have done nothing to deserve the non-stop flaming this individual
began with his "open letter" thread and has continued ever since.

If any of his outrageous charges had a shred of truth, that would be
one thing.
Only a sick ******* takes up stalking a person from thread to thread to
lob disruptive insults. This character is surely not the first to pull
this nonsense in the NG, and probably won't be the last.

You ain't seen "ballistic", Starbucks. I'm currently merely annoyed
with this little butt barnacle- but if he insists on stalking me he's
going to get an offal surprise sooner rather than later.

JimH should not have allowed your personal attacks on him to **** him off,
but it did.

No, he should not. JimH should have thicker skin. He who wields a flame
thrower is well advised to wear an asbestos suit and keep a sharp eye
peeled for blowback. JimH is far superior to Psuedo, however, as JimH
only attempts to make a personal issue out of posts that have actually
appeared in the NG. Psuedo, OTOH, dreams up some crap supposedly from
five years ago and supposedly from a private conversation and
challenges people to defend/explain statements that were never made in
the first place. JimH often chooses a very narrow and unusual
perspective from which to evaluate a post, but it would be very much
unlike JimH to make up crap out of thin air and then demand somebody
account for it. When JimH calls me a liar, as he has done on a number
of ocassions, he always itemizes his bill and pulls no punches as to
the nature of the "lie" he is alleging.

The major similarity between Psuedo and JimH is that its a dislike for
my political philosophy that fosters the vast majority of their
personal remarks.
JimH has never met me, and Psuedo Skipper obviously doesn't know me.

Maybe you owe him an apology, you know what they say about
Karma.

I publicly apologized for voicing my suspicion that the extremely
weird, once-in-a-lifetime posting style used by "Skipper" at the
opening of his "Open Letter" attack thread and the use of the same very
unsual style and phrasing in an attack post by JimH likely indicated
common authorship. I do not apologize for suspecting the common
authorship. You, yourself, said you suspected a common authorship until
some computer-related data convinced you otherwise.

ps - This Skipper is Dave Mann from Derby Kansas. He is the person you
meet in person, it is not a Pseudo.

I am beginning to see some similarity between the current version of
Skipper and the very worst examples of Cave Mann when he was most out
of control in previous years. What a shame if it's Dave, time has not
been kind to him at all.

If it's really Dave, the Psuedo Skipper title still fits him very well.
If he buys another boat, we'll surely begin hearing tales about how his
new driveway ornament is the best "purpose built" craft on the planet,
and he'll be insisting that everybody else drag their boats down to
Mexico where he will demonstrate proper technique for riding out
hurricane force winds in a little runabout. Maybe he'll invite his
Wilson cousins, the Boys can sit on the Beach.