Don Dando

Default Boat Repair

As a boat restorer the reason is that with obvious rotten wood, how much
more is there after they get started? What should the estimate be based on.
i.e.; What you can see from the outside, worse case, update estimate as you
go?

I refuse boats where the customer wants an estimate knowing that in many
cases I can not stick with the estimate so why give a customer false hopes
or limit myself on doing a top notch job by cutting corners to stay within
the estimate?

As I encounter severe unexpected challenges I contact the customer and have
him examine what I have found and let him help make the decision on how he
wants me to proceed with HIS boat. If it is a "Cheap & Dirty make do, I may
refuse to continue knowing that my reputation is on the line. If he chooses
to stop the project the owes me my $45/hr up to that point or he is invited
to enjoy a hot dog roast over his boat with me.

I try to get into suspect areas pretty quickly so I'm not in too deep with
my investment of time.

Out of dozens of boats, we have only had one "Hot Dog" roast, so to speak!

Don Dando

"MarshallE" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Is it realistic that a boatyard can not offer an estimate for the repair

of
old wood boats with rotten wood? What is the typical hourly rate for good
boat carpentry? My boat is an 80 footer and is located mid-atlantic east
coast.
Who are some high quality honest companies?
thanks,
me