DSK

Default Boat Repair

P.C. Ford wrote:
You shouldn't have a problem finding honest yards, if you have the
means. Honest yards are looking for good clients.

"If you have the means" is a key phrase. Many many boat owners with
large expensive boats very much prefer to do things the cheapest way
possible. As soon as they hear a phrase like "$15K per week in the shop"
they immediately start screaming "What a bunch of THIEVES!"

Then they run to Home Depot and buy an industrial size can of water
putty (it's just as good as Bondo, never mind that expensive epoxy
stuff... really it is!)

I've only worked on other peoples boats as a hobby, but last time I was
going to help an acquaintance put in some hi-amp wiring and realized
he'd bought heavy gage speaker wire from Radio Shack instead of proper
marine wire, I shook my head and left him there. BTW this was on a boat
that he'd paid well into 6 figures for, and moored it with undersize
nylon rope from Home Depot. It's amazing what people will do.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King