Sal's Dad

Default P.C. Idears

After a year or two presenting 3-D honeycomb construction to the
boatbuilding world, and generating a great deal of interest, PC ran up
against resistance. Used in a boat, such a honeycomb system could be used
to fabricate very light, strong hulls. With modern computer-assisted design
and cutting systems, the components could be built - fast, and (maybe)
cheap. Unfortunately, there's a wide gulf between concept and
implementation.

Pers has shown evidence that he's a skilled and meticulous craftsmen. Yet
he seemed to be asking somebody else to take the leap and build a prototype.
Understandably, the people at rec.boats.building declined, and asked HIM to
do this. A prototype, model, whatever you call it, made of "real"
materials - metal, wood, fiberglass... Without this, all the discussion in
the world is ultimately fruitless.

After some months of resistance, and, ultimately, ridicule, PC has taken his
crusade to a new venue - architecture. And now, the same questions are
starting to arise.

A recent quote from an architect, trying to pin PC down to specifics (on
alt.architecture)
"I don't want or need editorializing and it doesn't help your cause...
Now, separate that from my concerns, questions, etc about
construction. How
do you actually build your system?
You say it can be prefabricated and cut to suit. Fine, I can
understand
that and the principle behind your work that lets it be so, but I still
can't
see how it's accomplished.
You need a material. After that, how is it manufactured?"

Predictably, PC did not answer these fundamental questions. He needs to
understand that, with a prototype, he will have 1,000 true believers in his
3-D honeycomb system. In boatbuilding, architecture, or anywhere else, a
concept and a bad attitude will not get you very far.

Syd Mead

True...true....seems at this point, Per wants the credit, but not the work.
As long as it does not require more than punching a few keys in a 3D
application.
The problem was exasterbated by a few well meaning people,
who fellatiously and needlessly defend Pers ideas, enabling and keeping Per
in a constant state of delusion.
These defenders are nothing but verbal charity/welfare distributors who keep
Per resting on his
questionable laurels. It would be much more productive as you have
outlined, to encourage
Per to develob a few prototypical studies. I recall a while back Per did
produce a small speaker
cabinet, claiming it was in some way associated with what he calls 3D-H.
Don, (a draftsman/designer in alt.architecture) began calling Per "a true
visionary" etc.
It all went downhill from there.

Syd

"Sal's Dad" wrote in message
[...]

P.C.

Hi

Sorry the Snip, ---- but this ansver already could be long enough for the group
members, that must read the design issues, to figure out what this shuld deal
with boats. But no one want to read bad exchouses so I will start with the good
ones.
First you are quite right, that the way you describe this, I am not treading my
friends right. Still I did try get the place and options to develob this
building system, but maby I been to harsh towerds the architects in this contry,
fact is , that I did not get a positive ansver when I filled for using the
states workshops , ----- acturly I did not get any response at all before I
phoned ,and realy I became so disapointed that 3 copies of files , describing a
building system near patent level couldn't be returned, that I gave up involving
anyone except those who could be interested in investing.
Since then seveal members of the C.B. groups been giving me a bad countious. As
now it is so many years I gave up the Cyber-Boat concept and all those small
"inventions" or CAD tricks these sites carry and placed everything as
free-download, and realy I would have thought to have had the time, cleaning it
up, placing a few more of the designs not yet published and finaly start to give
free the AutoLisp rutines , that was the result of the develobment of the
Cyber-Boat concept -------- you know full-scale plans and the world's easiest
building system all learning you to both build a boat and master a CAD
program, ------- but architecture came in the way.
Realy I spended some 4 years at the acadamy, and the Cyber-Boat thing was during
and after that, and helped me become application develober and solve some quite
heavy challances --------- still both back then and now I some times feel like
fighting windmills, as even back then engineers claimed that there was only one
way to build a ship and that was with "known geometries" , even I could prove
opposite with the boats build , then today the architectural world , don't want
a promise of a bright future and new jobs.
I alway's had a bad social skill and never standed back in my critics, and that
mean that within architecture I calim that today's software are lame and
architects mind is chained and my only prove, is the 3D graphics that as you
point, more and more seem to value,
Anyway you proberly already reconised a few of the resons a great idear grow so
weak when only one person hount the web with his Pony, ------- as even I alway's
been a hands-on person you need a place to store your tools and it is not
everybody dealing with architecture, that is born with a silver spoon in his
mouth .
Now I don't blame you to think I am to arogant to have the chance I acturly have
and had so many times when I proven my bad social skills. But no one is perfect
and I must try make that up that you rightfully point to , ------ this is to bad
but academics are here to learn even they don't know , problem is that the
things they need to learn, is not what you would think with the world's best
building system , ----- you guy's on the other hand is getting closer and closer
to be the ones that could profit the most , but I don't have a workshop anymore
, ---- somthing I wouldn't think as a problem thoug, as I know with now 15 years
CAD experience, that 3D never lie where 2D artistry often is made just to do so.
Sal's father is quite right, it's bad and I hope for a bit more patience ;
please check the latest graphics around the Path Station , maby that make you
wonder less, why I often drop into architecture ------ the following is OT
about boatbuilding they are all architecture ;
http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2821.html

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2818.html

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2820.html

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2819.html

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2806.html

There is acturly two different types of structurem Type-W and Type -X , refering
how sections is created.

These are all ment as an alternative to this ;
http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2805.html
That is how the rebuild station is decided to show.

-------- A bad exchouse, well there seem to be a lot of bad exchouses around,
when it come to architecture, but they never tell the fact that much is 20 year
old primitive computer meshes ,even lamer than the mesh entities I used for the
Cyber-Boats, beside what is opposite to the way a boatbuilder work, is the
"Lego-mind" , in most of what architects today think is top trend design tools,
placing one block ontop the next.

P.C.

gruhn

understand that, with a prototype, he will have 1,000 true believers in
his

Wow. Jim Jones only had 912.

gruhn

These defenders are nothing but verbal charity/welfare distributors who
keep

Accusing Don of being a welfare proponent? Gasp!

Don

"gruhn" wrote
These defenders are nothing but verbal charity/welfare distributors who

keep

Accusing Don of being a welfare proponent? Gasp!

LOL
Syd, or should I say Sara, or any number of masks, is still ****ed at the
education I gave him/her a couple years ago over in alt.construction.
Ask him/her about it sometime. They get real emotional over it.

Don

"P.C." wrote
-------- A bad exchouse, well there seem to be a lot of bad exchouses

around,
when it come to architecture, but they never tell the fact that much is 20

year
old primitive computer meshes ,even lamer than the mesh entities I used

for the
Cyber-Boats, beside what is opposite to the way a boatbuilder work, is the
"Lego-mind" , in most of what architects today think is top trend design

tools,
placing one block ontop the next.

Do you suppose it would be enormously expense to initiate the machinary
necessary to create a true 3DH architectural structure?
I personally believe your vision can be made a reality, but I can't fill in
the steps in between. I need some help here.
The Sydney Opera house for example, seems to be a good *model* for 3DH, but
how in the world could it happen?
Theres a big black hole in the middle of this thing...........and many can't
see the light on the other side.
Is there a way to make a model on a much smaller scale, say 1:4?

gruhn

Is there a way to make a model on a much smaller scale, say 1:4?

He might start w/ chipboard and a matte knife.

Don

"gruhn" wrote in message
Is there a way to make a model on a much smaller scale, say 1:4?

He might start w/ chipboard and a matte knife.

ikkkk
I'm thinking more along the lines of some raw alum and a tig.

Brian D

I don't believe his idea is sound. His web is designed to fold like an
accordion should he ever hit something hard. The strength would have to
come from the skin and fasteners (or adhesive.) There's a reason that
honeycomb structures us _honeycomb_, triangles, or rectangular sections with
the web aligned with the direction of greatest stress. PC broke that last
rule. Plywood is cheap. He just likes to be a pest and uses his accordion
structure as a whipping bench. I kill-filed him long long ago. Same with
JAX. I don't see posts or email from either one. Everyone else around here
seems pretty cool otherwise. If I were you guys, I'd follow the usual
"don't feed the troll" rule and don't entertain him with any discussion of
his design efforts at all.

Brian