Glenn Ashmore

Default Mounting engine room equipment over Soundown

The new Yanmar 4JH4E is now sitting in the cockpit ready to be installed.
All the ancillary equipment, water heater, water lift, strainers, compressor
and pumps are mounted. Now I have to face one last challenge. The engine
compartment is lined with Soundown and all openings are gasketted but I
still have lots of wires, hoses and filters to install before the engine
goes in. How do I mount the wire looms and hose carriers over the Soundown
without destroying its insulation properties?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Steve Lusardi

Glenn,
The only answer to this I have seen is studs. For commercial marine use,
there are 2 types available. One is adhesive and the other is weldable. In
both cases, they are installed before the insulation and the insulation is
applied over the top puncturing the insulation, then the head is threaded on
to the stud and there are different types of heads. The studs are sound
transmitters so the part extending beyound the soundproofing must be
insulated as well. Check with your local ship chandlers in your area. If you
have no luck, let me know and I will source some for you.
Steve

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The new Yanmar 4JH4E is now sitting in the cockpit ready to be installed.
All the ancillary equipment, water heater, water lift, strainers,
compressor and pumps are mounted. Now I have to face one last challenge.
The engine compartment is lined with Soundown and all openings are
gasketted but I still have lots of wires, hoses and filters to install
before the engine goes in. How do I mount the wire looms and hose
carriers over the Soundown without destroying its insulation properties?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The new Yanmar 4JH4E is now sitting in the cockpit ready to be installed.
All the ancillary equipment, water heater, water lift, strainers, compressor
and pumps are mounted. Now I have to face one last challenge. The engine
compartment is lined with Soundown and all openings are gasketted but I
still have lots of wires, hoses and filters to install before the engine
goes in. How do I mount the wire looms and hose carriers over the Soundown
without destroying its insulation properties?

It's an imperfect world. You can install little standoffs
that protrude through the insulation.

It's going to be tricky now that the insulation is in place.
If you can, pick one side of the compartment to mess up
and keep the other sides pristine. If I was in your
position, I'd use a row of little fiberglass "U" shaped
standoffs, screw or glass one side of the "U" to the
compartment, the bottom of the U protrudes through the
insulation, and the other face is available for fastening.
There are commercial cable trays etc. but they are bulky,
and being steel or aluminum, tend to transmit sound better
than GRP.

Or run everything in one upper corner of the compartment?

Evan Gatehouse

MMC

What I did when installing the engine in my Rhodes "Traveler" was epoxy fir
blocks to the bulkhead and then cut the insulation to fit. Noise will travel
through the blocks, but I couldn't figure another way to do it and it worked
out without much engine noise below decks.
MMC
"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
[...]

Gordon Wedman

I don't think you will loose too much sound dampening by installing a few
attachment points but you probably should try to minimize the number.
Perhaps install two hangers along the top at one side and then suspend as
much as possible from them. Also, attach stuff to the engine using
standoffs.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The new Yanmar 4JH4E is now sitting in the cockpit ready to be installed.
All the ancillary equipment, water heater, water lift, strainers,
compressor and pumps are mounted. Now I have to face one last challenge.
The engine compartment is lined with Soundown and all openings are
gasketted but I still have lots of wires, hoses and filters to install
before the engine goes in. How do I mount the wire looms and hose
carriers over the Soundown without destroying its insulation properties?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Description of a very nice boat....... [email protected] General 6 September 29th 05 08:27 PM
more diesel power [email protected] Cruising 15 July 2nd 05 04:45 PM
Engine Room Fixed Firefighting [email protected] Boat Building 8 June 16th 05 05:53 PM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM