Just Us

Default Rebuilding Trimaran

I am new to this group and would like get some feedback on my rebuild
project.
I have a 25ft Searunner Tri.The starboard amass is bad and I ma rebuilding
it.
The ply has delaminated to the point the really is no ply in places.
My first thought was to soak the ply with Dr Rot and put plastic sheets over
that with pressure against it to resecure the ply layers.
Upon further study, it looks like I will remove all rotten ply, and lap in
new sections.
I decided this after finding some areas the ply had come loose from the
ribbing.
Looks like about 30% of the ply will be replaced. The bilge areas, bow and
stern are all great.
No sections of rotten ply are so close as to allow any bulkheads to move, so
shape should stay fine.
Now the comment area.
What would you recommend to coat the outside with once I've got the new ply
on? I plan to sand all the boat and coat everything the same.
Also I am missing the rudder, anyone know the specs for a Searunner rudder.
Finally, anyone want to come help, or maybe do this project for me- Just
kidding.
I'm really looking forward to when it's done.
I hope to get a webpage going with picture of the progress, if anyone would
be interested.
Wish me luck.
Robert

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

I'd recommend coating both sides of the plywood with epoxy before
you even start cutting. Where you're going to be doing adhesive
bonding between ribs and ply, make sure you sand the epxoy
to give it some tooth before bonding. Note that if the
original construction had glass over ply, then you should add
glass to your construction as well. After the boat is back
together again, sand with 150 grit, fair with epoxy bog and
paint with the paint of your choice. Also, keep in mind that
your delamination problem probably started with the edge
of the ply panels getting wet - this would be a good place for
you to coat with epoxy as well.

If you can't find the original designer (Jim Brown, I think, or
maybe John Marples), then you could contact Kurt Hughes - he'd
probably be able to give you plans for an appropriate rudder.

By the way, Roger Taylor did a series of books (Good Boats,
More Good Boats, Still More Good Boats, and Even More Good
Boats), one of which had an article about a SeaRunner. You might
be able to find one of these at the library or through interlibrary
loan. There may be some clues as to rudder construction for you.
The SeaRunners were pretty simply built boats, so the reduced
drawings may be enough for you to get close enough.

Matt

"Just Us" wrote in message
I am new to this group and would like get some feedback on my rebuild
project.
I have a 25ft Searunner Tri.The starboard amass is bad and I ma rebuilding
it.
The ply has delaminated to the point the really is no ply in places.
Looks like about 30% of the ply will be replaced. The bilge areas, bow and
stern are all great.
No sections of rotten ply are so close as to allow any bulkheads to move,

so
shape should stay fine.
Now the comment area.
What would you recommend to coat the outside with once I've got the new

ply
on? I plan to sand all the boat and coat everything the same.
Also I am missing the rudder, anyone know the specs for a Searunner

rudder.

William R. Watt

the curvature of the hull comes from bending long pieces of plywood over
the frames. repairing with small pieces may not reproduce the same radius of
curvature. there may be techniques, such as auxilliary framing or
laminating thinner plywood, which will put curvaure in patches.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm