Brian Whatcott

Default Mast & Boom for SouthCoast 22

My sons bought me a SouthCoast 22 hull at a bargain.
Sails yes - boom and mast no.

The mast is supposed to be 23 ft. the mast 9 ft.

So I started looking - but they seem to run $500 on up -
and this is a shoestring project
(Yes, I know you've heard it all before about shoestrings....)

So the closest value I have seen is a 19 ft mast with an 8ft 6 in
boom.

I keep telling myself I can bill it as my heavy weather special.

Thoughts?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Jonathan

Sounds like you will be sailing with a single, if not a double reef, all
the time. Not too bad when the wind is 25+ kts, but what about the rest
of the time? I'm too lazy to calculate the loss of sail area, but it
seems to be pretty substantial.

Sometimes boatyards dispose of a hull and forget, or just leave the rigs
in their storage areas, have you checked with every one in your area?

Good luck,

Jonathan

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10 for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr
Dave

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
My sons bought me a SouthCoast 22 hull at a bargain.
Sails yes - boom and mast no.
The mast is supposed to be 23 ft. the mast 9 ft.
So I started looking - but they seem to run $500 on up -
and this is a shoestring project
(Yes, I know you've heard it all before about shoestrings....)
So the closest value I have seen is a 19 ft mast with an 8ft 6 in
boom.
I keep telling myself I can bill it as my heavy weather special.

Thoughts?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I have a SouthCoast 22 I sailed for a couple of seasons in Puget Sound. It
is currently sitting on blocks at my parents place. The centerboard cable
broke and swing keel fell damaging the centerboard box. I have not touched
it for years. I have since moved on to much larger and more troublesome
vessels.

The mast you mention is way too small unless you plan to rig the boat as a
ketch which I contemplated at great length while I was sailing mine. In
light air the boat is a bit of a dog and makes a lot of leeway but I only
had the working jib. If you have the jenny she should perform reasonably
well. However, when the wind kicks up that little foredeck is a treacherous
place to be swapping jibs which is why I considered re-rigging with a split
rig. As a sloop with a 19ft mast she will need 20 knots of wind or a motor
if you plan to leave the dock.

Dave

Brian Whatcott

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:27:22 -0700, "Dave"
wrote:

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ah, a response! In Oklahoma, the wind comes blowing down the plains.

For a mast - I go with what I can find, for the time being,
believing that the scoop is
First sail,
then
Improve!

But I am sure you are right!

Brian
Terry Spragg

Dave wrote:
[...]

I did the same to my SC22 It was a few days work to grind out the
hurt parts and rebuild in all glass. Was fine. Use a mask with an
external air hose, even a kid's schnorkel with a mouth dump valve
Y'd in the hose. A flap of tape will make an exhalation valve close
to your head, or you can learn to exhale through your nose.

I used a jib pull down line to make the jib change into a doddle,
but I had to install perforated toe railing before I would send
anyone up there any time. 80 bucks for the toe rail, I think. Metal
Masters, Toronto. A wooden bulwark would also be a good plan, and
prettier.

For a 24 foot mast the extrusion cost me 280 bucks. Kitimat Alcoa
doesn't sell them anymore. I installed a spreader bolt internal
compression box tube, so the mast wouldn't break again.

I sailed it for 9 years, and loved it. But I did get the trailer
modified to allow servicing the cable every year.

The boat is fine for weekending or even a week for two.

Learn slow, work fast, is true for every skill on earth.

Terry K

Mike Sr.

A 24 foot mast was listed in the Pensacola paper for $400 @
850/492-3657 on 8/21/05.

Brian Whatcott

On 21 Aug 2005 07:37:15 -0700, "Mike Sr."
wrote:

A 24 foot mast was listed in the Pensacola paper for $400 @
850/492-3657 on 8/21/05.

The length is good, but the distance is discouraging - thanks for
passing the word!

Brian W
at Altus (SW Oklahoma)
Terry Spragg

wrote:

A 24 foot mast was listed in the Pensacola paper for $400 @
850/492-3657 on 8/21/05.

The length is good, but the distance is discouraging - thanks for
passing the word!

Brian W
at Altus (SW Oklahoma)

Get them to ship by rail

Terry K

Perfect cruising bermuda dinghy Morgan Ohlson Boat Building 12 November 6th 04 09:04 PM
tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Detect mast and boom cracks with a violin bow JaxAshby ASA 5 October 28th 03 02:56 AM
How to clean an oxidized mast and boom Rob General 1 September 3rd 03 12:36 PM