JaxAshby

Default Detect mast and boom cracks with a violin bow

I detect mast and boom cracks by stroking either with a violin bow.

It's just like playing a saw.

A classically trained ear, such as mine, can detect subtle harmonics
generated by cracks or strain hardening in the metals.

This method also works for rigging, for both determining cracks and tension.

My boat sounds like a symphony, pure and no distortion.

Yet another Mensa tip,

Jax

Jeff Morris

"JaxAshby" wrote in message
ink.net...

My boat sounds like a symphony, pure and no distortion.

"At night, my body is a symphony." - Drew Carey

Horvath

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:44:12 GMT, "JaxAshby" wrote
this crap:

I detect mast and boom cracks by stroking either with a violin bow.

It's just like playing a saw.

A classically trained ear, such as mine, can detect subtle harmonics
generated by cracks or strain hardening in the metals.

This method also works for rigging, for both determining cracks and tension.

I don't have a violin bow. I use a tricorder.

Hero@Horvath

I don't spend my money on food. I spend most of my money
on women, porn, booze, and recreation. The rest of it I just waste.
Shen44

Subject: Detect mast and boom cracks with a violin bow

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:44:12 GMT, "JaxAshby" wrote
this crap:

I detect mast and boom cracks by stroking either with a violin bow.

It's just like playing a saw.

A classically trained ear, such as mine, can detect subtle harmonics
generated by cracks or strain hardening in the metals.

This method also works for rigging, for both determining cracks and tension.

I don't have a violin bow. I use a tricorder.

Hero@Horvath

LOL we're getting to the nonboating season for many. In some respects I look
forward to the return of the Jaxass, his phony overblown ego, is even funnier
than Boobsprits and/or Neal's.

Shen
Thom Stewart

Jax,

Welcome back you self-proclaimed Mensa fool! How much resin on the bow?
What pitch for a 10.25 ft boom? G

You'll have to excuse my vulgarity but a tapping with a ball peen hammer
is soooo much better!

Maybe you could sell that system to major league baseball to check for
cracked bats; although I dought it. Tapping the handle on the home plate
does the same thing and the bat boy doesn't have to run out with a
violin bow.

:^) My-Oh-My how I've missed you. How about you rendition of "Red Sails
In The Sunset" on your well tuned rigging.. You do put a new meaning to
tuning a rig!!!

Ole Thom

Lady Pilot

"Thom Stewart" wrote:

Jax,

Welcome back you self-proclaimed Mensa fool! How much resin on the bow?
What pitch for a 10.25 ft boom? G

Actually, it's not Jax. It's some idiot from Evergreen, Colorado.
snicker

LP

Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom Matt & Kim Cruising 30 June 25th 10 03:22 PM
The Bent Boom Bobsprit ASA 174 September 15th 03 12:50 PM
How to clean an oxidized mast and boom Rob General 1 September 3rd 03 12:36 PM
Mast down (long) Peter S/Y Anicula ASA 1 July 1st 03 12:05 AM