Rob

Default How to clean an oxidized mast and boom

Does anyone have any good solutions or products to clean an oxidized
aluminum mast and boom? My boat is a completely restored 1978
Catalina 30....I can't figure out what to do with the dark-colored
oxidized mast. Thanks in advanced for any recommendations.
Tom

First be sure that your mast is not anodized...sounds like it is owing to
the "dark color".

All aluminum must have some kind of protection from the elements. There is
no such thing as a "raw aluminum mast" - it will have some kind of coating.

One step you could take would be to step off the mast, sand off all the
anodizing to bright metal, wash with Alodine, shoot it with 545 primer, and
then Awlgrip it with the color of your choice.
To do that with a stick of this size will set you back about 3 to 500
dollars in materials, a bunch of time in labor sanding and prepping and
taping the mast and then you will need a gun, or you could roll and tip it.
Or you could take it to a yard that does it. Typically a mast shoot with awl
should be around 1000.

Hope this helps.

Tom

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have any good solutions or products to clean an oxidized
aluminum mast and boom? My boat is a completely restored 1978
Catalina 30....I can't figure out what to do with the dark-colored
oxidized mast. Thanks in advanced for any recommendations.

Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom Matt & Kim Cruising 30 June 25th 10 03:22 PM
Traveling Man John F. Hughes Cruising 0 March 19th 04 01:32 PM
WTB: MAST in Maryland Howaya Marketplace 0 February 8th 04 05:18 PM
WTB: 40' Mast Wanted in Chesapeake Area Howaya Marketplace 0 January 31st 04 03:34 PM
Weekender query Darwin Boat Building 5 July 13th 03 01:55 PM