Dave

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
My sons bought me a SouthCoast 22 hull at a bargain.
Sails yes - boom and mast no.
The mast is supposed to be 23 ft. the mast 9 ft.
So I started looking - but they seem to run $500 on up -
and this is a shoestring project
(Yes, I know you've heard it all before about shoestrings....)
So the closest value I have seen is a 19 ft mast with an 8ft 6 in
boom.
I keep telling myself I can bill it as my heavy weather special.

Thoughts?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I have a SouthCoast 22 I sailed for a couple of seasons in Puget Sound. It
is currently sitting on blocks at my parents place. The centerboard cable
broke and swing keel fell damaging the centerboard box. I have not touched
it for years. I have since moved on to much larger and more troublesome
vessels.

The mast you mention is way too small unless you plan to rig the boat as a
ketch which I contemplated at great length while I was sailing mine. In
light air the boat is a bit of a dog and makes a lot of leeway but I only
had the working jib. If you have the jenny she should perform reasonably
well. However, when the wind kicks up that little foredeck is a treacherous
place to be swapping jibs which is why I considered re-rigging with a split
rig. As a sloop with a 19ft mast she will need 20 knots of wind or a motor
if you plan to leave the dock.

Dave