steamer

Default Nautical component; name??

--Found this at a junkyard; although my application isn't likely
to be anywhere near water (except rain!), rumor has it this may be nautical
in origin, but nobody seems to know the proper name for it or whether or not
they might still be available somewhere. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--Any help appreciated,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
Patrick

It could be a very cool waffle iron. ;-)

--
Patrick's Sailing Blog:
http://shipsrecord.com/blogs/patrick/

"steamer" wrote in message
--Found this at a junkyard; although my application isn't likely
to be anywhere near water (except rain!), rumor has it this may be
nautical
in origin, but nobody seems to know the proper name for it or whether or
not
they might still be available somewhere. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--Any help appreciated,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

steamer

Patrick wrote:
: It could be a very cool waffle iron. ;-)
--Ha!
--Found it! A pal at rec.crafts.metalworking pinned it down as a
component in the throttle assembly of outboard motors. They're available
from McMaster-Carr, p. 957. Not cheap; glad I got it surplus.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Some type of universal joint. Such things are easily available.

Sal's Dad

Yes, it looks like a giant-sized version of the tiller joint, allowing the
twist-grip throttle to remain unaffected when folding the tiller up. Never
seen one so big -- I would guess this is something different...

a component in the throttle assembly of outboard motors. They're
available
from McMaster-Carr, p. 957. Not cheap; glad I got it surplus.

Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak

--Found this at a junkyard; although my application isn't likely
to be anywhere near water (except rain!), rumor has it this may be

nautical
in origin, but nobody seems to know the proper name for it or whether or

not
they might still be available somewhere. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--Any help appreciated,

Anyone have seen a photo of the submarine hatch with its lock wheel on the
outside center?
For me it is a swing transmission for remotely driving hatch locking pawl
ring from the submarine interior in some kind of waterlock application.
It is designed to fit into central part of the hatch hinge.
Kind regards!
Tadeusz

steamer

Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak wrote:
: Anyone have seen a photo of the submarine hatch with its lock wheel on the
: outside center?
: For me it is a swing transmission for remotely driving hatch locking pawl
: ring from the submarine interior in some kind of waterlock application.
: It is designed to fit into central part of the hatch hinge.
: Kind regards!
: Tadeusz
--If so it would have to be better made than the example I
have. One of the things I read about the bronze gear version is that it
can't take a large torque, which would seem to be a frequent
occurence in the hatch application..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Matt Colie

Steamer (strange - just wait)
What you have there is an adjustable angel box for a thing called a
reach rod.
On ships, valves are often placed where they need to be (wow) but this
precludes a normal (even for shipboard) human from being capable of
operating said valve.
So - they fit a reach rod.
A simple one is a long rod with a handwheel on one end and something
that works the valve handwheel on the other and maybe some support along
the way.
Sometimes these thing go up 6 decks.
Sometimes they have to take a sideways to go around a piece of something
major. (That's where your piece comes in.)
They come in right angle , 45 and the really expensive (yours)
adjustable.
Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

steamer wrote:
--Found this at a junkyard; although my application isn't likely
to be anywhere near water (except rain!), rumor has it this may be nautical
in origin, but nobody seems to know the proper name for it or whether or not
they might still be available somewhere. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--Any help appreciated,

steamer

--Aha! Yeah I've seen reach rods (on a Liberty ship IIRC).
Gotta go back and look a little closer methinks.
--Big this thing is for sure; wish I could find a source for
smaller ones now; applications are endless for this sort of thing.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Nice nautical gift store...... JimH General 0 April 3rd 05 01:26 AM
CAPT LOU'S TOP WEIRD NAUTICAL NEWS STORIES IN 2004 Capt Lou Cruising 0 December 28th 04 01:44 PM
Hear "Nautical Talk Radio" - Sailing to the Med, Red, & Dead Seas Capt Lou Cruising 2 November 29th 04 09:36 PM
Nautical word fun Gould 0738 General 2 November 10th 04 01:13 AM
TOP NAUTICAL NEWS STORIES OF 2003 Eric H General 1 January 2nd 04 03:07 PM