Roger Derby

You're walking a fine, economic, line here. That looks like fairly fancy
machining where the rounded pegs mate with the disk's cavities for little
play at all angles. Maybe it's a sintered metal part, but there still needs
to be a fair volume to get economy.

For smaller torques, a piece of hose will connect two shafts. For higher
speeds, more sophisticated gearing (and lube) is needed. One or more
standard (Cardin) universal joints will work if the shafts have support
bearings and it will be cheap because there's lots of automobiles.

Remember, Liberty ship parts were bought by government purchasing agencies.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"steamer" wrote in message
--Aha! Yeah I've seen reach rods (on a Liberty ship IIRC).
Gotta go back and look a little closer methinks.
--Big this thing is for sure; wish I could find a source for
smaller ones now; applications are endless for this sort of thing.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...

steamer

--Actually I've got an application in robotics, but the things
would need to be a *lot* smaller. Injection molded with something like
Nylatron would be ideal..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Nice nautical gift store...... JimH General 0 April 3rd 05 01:26 AM
CAPT LOU'S TOP WEIRD NAUTICAL NEWS STORIES IN 2004 Capt Lou Cruising 0 December 28th 04 01:44 PM
Hear "Nautical Talk Radio" - Sailing to the Med, Red, & Dead Seas Capt Lou Cruising 2 November 29th 04 09:36 PM
Nautical word fun Gould 0738 General 2 November 10th 04 01:13 AM
TOP NAUTICAL NEWS STORIES OF 2003 Eric H General 1 January 2nd 04 03:07 PM