Oddgeir Kvien

Default Checking of plywood, what about birch plywood ?

We all knows that pine plywood do check, but what about birch plywood?

The birch plywood found in local home depot here in Norway is usualy in
very good quality and might be a very attractive alternative to use for
building material. It is somewhat heavy, but it is very strong, probably
the strongest plywood available.

--
Oddgeir
I am building a boat: http:/www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat
Roger Derby

Not to change the subject, but I know "fir" plywood checks. Does pine?

The birch plywood I've bought from HD is beautiful, but it isn't rated as
"exterior" and it is HARD! and HEAVY! I built an entertainment center with
it a few years ago and couldn't believe how bulletproof it was. (and screw
and nail proof)

Roger (botanically qualified to tell grass from bushes from trees.
period)

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Oddgeir Kvien" wrote in message
news
We all knows that pine plywood do check, but what about birch plywood?

The birch plywood found in local home depot here in Norway is usualy in
very good quality and might be a very attractive alternative to use for
building material. It is somewhat heavy, but it is very strong, probably
the strongest plywood available.

Lew Hodgett

Oddgeir Kvien wrote:
We all knows that pine plywood do check, but what about birch plywood?

snip

Here in the US, most of the good Birch plywood comes in from Finland,
Russia, and a few other Eastern European countries.

Most of it is sold in about 60"x60" sheets.

1/2" is actually 12 mm and is 9 ply.

3/4" is actually 18-19 mm and is 13 ply.

It is normally used by the cabinet makers because it is so stable;
however, it is definitely not suitable for exterior boat use.

It is beautiful stuff, especially the Finnish product.

Lew

Dave W

As others have stated, birch would be a very poor choice for a boat. My fir
plywood skiff checked on the inside; I put fiberglass on the outside when
building. Now I am slowly, a few pieces each spring, fiberglassing the
inside. It would have been so much easier earlier.

Oddgeir Kvien

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Here in the US, most of the good Birch plywood comes in from Finland,
Russia, and a few other Eastern European countries.

Most of it is sold in about 60"x60" sheets.

Here in Norway we also have this 60"x60" (122x122cm) sheets, but
normally this is only for interior use since the glue used is not
WBP. However the 122x244cm is normally with WBP glue, there is
also a version of this plywood that are coated with some cind
of phenol film to be used permanently outdoor, as trailer floor
etc. But the surface of this is not suitable for Epoxy gluing
since it is almost polished and very hard, the color is dark
dark red, almost black.

I believe you will find more information about the Birch plywood he
http://w3.wisa.upm-kymmene.com/sch/i...1?OpenDocument

--
Oddgeir
I am building a boat

0_Qed

Oddgeir Kvien wrote:

We all knows that pine plywood do check, but what about birch plywood?

The birch plywood found in local home depot here in Norway is usualy in
very good quality and might be a very attractive alternative to use for
building material. It is somewhat heavy, but it is very strong, probably
the strongest plywood available.

Most =all= plywood will 'check'.

Rotary peeled 'veneers', by nature, have a 'tite' side & a 'loose' side.
Sliced veneers too, to a lessor extent.

Exposure to moisture, and the 'attendant' expansion/contraction ,
will "bring" the lathe 'checks' to the surface.

Excessive finish(face surface) sanding exacerbates this ...
brings the 'checks' closer to the surface.

The "least" checked veneers, generally, are the thinner ones ...
fir 3/16th core veneers are the most pronounced.

Sawn/planed 'veneers' dont do 'this', and are expensive.

:-)
Joe Pal

Birch plywood boat: http://mysite.verizon.net/res1frj8/index.html

Jim Conlin

Alas, birch ply is a poor material for boatbuilding.
Birch is not the least bit decay resistant and i've never seen a birch ply
made with water resistant glue.
Save it for furniture and cabinets.

"Joe Pal" wrote in message
Birch plywood boat: http://mysite.verizon.net/res1frj8/index.html

Ted W Lee

I don't know how good it is, but I've seen Finland Birch Marine Ply
advertised. Thanks, Ted in Mich.

Oddgeir Kvien

Jim Conlin wrote:
Alas, birch ply is a poor material for boatbuilding.
Birch is not the least bit decay resistant and i've never seen a birch ply
made with water resistant glue.

Here in Norway you will get a lott of Birch plywood mad in Finland and
with WBP glue. They also make a Birch plywood threated with phenol film
suitable for use on car trailers etc. An very resistive to water and
damage. And Birch plywood is probably the strongest plywood available.

What goes for the US might not be the what goes for Europe.

--
Oddgeir
My boat project: http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat