Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Walt

Default small sailboat

Not exactly related to "building" but..

Im thinking about getting a used small sailboat. I have experience
sailing (windsurfing and ice boating) but very little with sailboats..
So here is what I think Im looking for..

* I want something very easy to get in and out of the water and set up.
Im thinking something around 18 foot with a retractable keel? or water
balast might be good. I helped someone launch what I think was a
Catalina 24 and it was a nice sailing boat but a little more hassle in
the launch and set up than I would like (trailer had to be pretty deep
for the keel and the mast looked like it required 2 people. Id like to
be able to get it in/out of the water and setup by myself.

* Id like to have a "little cabin" on the boat

* One reason I want this boat is because it will live at a lake which
can have some high winds that come up fairly quickly. So Im hoping that
the boat is still safe to motor around with say a 4 hp outboard with the
sail taken down.

* I dont care at all about speed but Id like to be able to to reasonably
safely have four adults in the boat.

* can you tip over a boat such as Im looking for? If so, is this a big
deal?

Any recomendations or comments?

Regards,

Wally Hall