Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:49:45 GMT, Walt wrote:

Not exactly related to "building" but..

Im thinking about getting a used small sailboat. I have experience
sailing (windsurfing and ice boating) but very little with sailboats..
So here is what I think Im looking for..

* I want something very easy to get in and out of the water and set up.
Im thinking something around 18 foot with a retractable keel? or water
balast might be good. I helped someone launch what I think was a
Catalina 24 and it was a nice sailing boat but a little more hassle in
the launch and set up than I would like (trailer had to be pretty deep
for the keel and the mast looked like it required 2 people. Id like to
be able to get it in/out of the water and setup by myself.

* Id like to have a "little cabin" on the boat

* One reason I want this boat is because it will live at a lake which
can have some high winds that come up fairly quickly. So Im hoping that
the boat is still safe to motor around with say a 4 hp outboard with the
sail taken down.

* I dont care at all about speed but Id like to be able to to reasonably
safely have four adults in the boat.

* can you tip over a boat such as Im looking for? If so, is this a big
deal?

Any recomendations or comments?

Regards,

Wally Hall
Denver

Drop the "little cabin" idea and you will broaden your choices. Lots
of centerboard daysailers have been produced since the beginnings of
fiberglass that will carry four adults and a tiny outboard, and
perhaps a picnic cooler.

An old Lightning, a centerboard Rhodes 19, O'Day Daysailor, Flying
Scot, Highlander would all fit the remainder of your requirements,
very loosely.

Stepping the mast alone would not be the usual procedure with anything
that size, but you could rig some aids that could be carried on the
trailer.

Any centerboarder can, in principle, capsize. Those as big as I have
listed are very unlikely to do so, but are not convenient to
self-rescue if they do.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism