Ron Magen

Walt,
What WILL fit your list of requirements {almost exactly} is a West Wight
Potter 15.

We have had a Potter P-19 for about 15 years. My thoughts were to do about
the same as you suggest. However, we shortly found that it was a LOT more
effort then expected to get her set-up and launched. At least for a three
hour drive {each way} for only about 2 hours sailing. Anyway, we've kept her
in a slip at a couple of marina's, and she is now on a mooring at a club on
the Delaware River.

A few years ago I was able to 'snap up' a P-15 for a REAL GOOD price.
Although she is only 4 feet shorter than the 19, it's like a geometric
progression. With the aft end on a couple of tires, I was able to actually
LIFT the ENTIRE boat, by 'hand' from the area of the 'towing' eye !! {we
were putting her on a new trailer}. I hadn't planned to do this . . . I was
going to 'work' the trailer under her a little bit at a time. This boat has
been around for a LOT of years. She is famous for making voyages across the
North Sea, and the Pacific from California to Hawaii. There is even
documented evidence of someone living aboard one for 3 years !

The point is she has a cabin, with 'bunks' for two 6 footers, storage space,
and a fully retractable STEEL keel. She is what is called a 'character' boat
.. . . one of those that you either love or hate. There is a VERY active
'owners Group' and MANY possible personal modifications. There are a couple
for sale now . . . mentioned on the Group. }. Also,
take a look at the manufacturers site. Don't have it handy, do a Google
search for 'International Marine' in southern California.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Walt" wrote in message ...
Not exactly related to "building" but..

Im thinking about getting a used small sailboat. . . .