Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jonathan Ganz

Default HELP!!!! I'm selling my house and moving the family onto a sailboat!

Alfred,

Good on you.

Cats are a good choice for a number of reasons, but they are
going to be more expensive. If you can live with that, especially
having a small child aboard, you'll be richly rewarded. There is
going to be some fairly extensive prep time for yourself to make
sure you're up for the offshore experience, especially if it's going
to be just the two of you.

The type of initial sailing class (e.g., USSailing, ASA, or private)
isn't as important as the instructer.

After the basic sailing classes, you'll probably want to take a class
or two specifically about multihulls. There are some sailing and
handling characteristics that are quite different from monos.

As to your other questions, there's no way to answer about the
type of boat, or how big it can be to be able to handle it short-
handed. You need to start small, and see where it goes.

You might want to consider chartering boats and sailing on
other people's boats before making a financial commitment.
You'll get a better idea about the kind of boat you want/like,
and about the differences in handling and overall quality.

"Sink Or Sail" wrote in message
.. .
Hello Everyone,

My name is Alfred and I am married with a 4 year old son. We live in Fort
Lauderdale
and have spent our entire lives in South Florida. I'll spare you the

details
but
I've had it with things around here and I'm ready for a MAJOR change. I

have
wanted
to sail the Caribbean my whole life and never have. My heritage is Cuban

and
was born in Key West, 90 miles away, but never been. It's time for us to
travel.

I am selling my house and buying a sailboat. I plan on living aboard

around
South Florida for the first season to adjust to live aboard life and

sailing
out
come good weather next year. I have no sailing experience but quite a bit
of
small power boating in the Keys.

I am looking for advice on how to begin and what type of boat I'll need.
I've
lurked in newsgroups and forums for quite sometime and have spent a bit of
time
speaking with local sailors. I would like to ask a few questions and I'm
looking for all honest answers. I've considered eventually running all

the
way
to South America and up the Amazon.

Would a sailing course be best to start? or should I find someone with a
boat?

I'm considering a catamaran for it's shallow depth and stability.

Opinions?

Will a catamaran make South America safely?

My wife will most likely spend more time with our son. How large a boat

can
one man reasonably handle if properly rigged?

I'm very skilled in PC and Internet technologies. How difficult is it to
find
work in foreign countries? Will local authorities allow me to work for
provisions in the Caribbean or South America?

I realize this is difficult but, how much money does one need to live on
while
sailing the Caribbean for one year?

I know there are a million other things I should do and know before I do
this
but there is time for those. I very much appreciate any help I can get.

If
any
of you live in the Fort Lauderdale area let me know. I would be glad to
help you
out in exchange for a litter experience and advice.

Alfred