Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Jeff Morris wrote:

I'm still not sure of the value for long distance viewing, but the high
power dome will have finer resolution, so that a pair of channel buoys
will be resolved as two targets further away with the more powerful
unit. Navigation is easier, since coastlines will more closely resemble
the chart. However, this takes a lot of practice and you're better off
relying on a good gps.

The above is due to a narrower Horizontal Beamwidth, and not the PPP
(Peak Pukse Power) of the transmitter. Radar OEM's tend to put the
bigger antennas (narrower Horizontal Beamwidth) on their Larger PPP
transmitters as a rule, but the two are mutually exclusive
specifications. Third and fourth Generation Marine Radars, all have
Log Recivers, SolidState Frontends, and that is why they preform
as well as the older Second Generation Radars that had twice the PPP
in the transmitters. Where it used to take 10Kw and a 6 Ft SlotLine
antenna to pickup 48 mile targets in second genertion Marine Radars,
the 4Kw 4Ft Slotline antennas of the Fourth Generation work just fine
on the same paths. Like wise the 2Kw 3Ft Slotline Radars of the Third
Generation will compare very nicely with a 2Kw flatpanel antennas of
todays small boat radars, with the exception of the very wide Horozontal
Beamwidths of those flat panel antennas, that can't differentiate between
two targets at the same distance, but closer than 6 or 7 degrees in
bearing.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Meindert Sprang

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message
Just remember that a radar sends out radio waves, and any metal in front
of it will cause part of your radar signal to be bounced back to your
radar. The metal mast and rigging may not obscure your radar display
(an empty "shadow area"), but some of that energy will be bounced right
back and can either cause interference or even damage to your radar's
receiver. All the more reason not to use a 4 kw system.

No it won't. When the radar is transmitting, the receiver is shut off or the
path from the antenna to the receiver is blocked. When the tranmission
stops, the receiver is switched on again but not immediately. So the first
strong echos from very nearby objects will not reach the received. Apart
from that, the receivers' sensitivity is increased from almost nothing to
full gradually to compensate for the weaker echos from longer distances.

Meindert

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:11:18 -1000, renewontime dot com
wrote:

Just remember that a radar sends out radio waves, and any metal in front
of it will cause part of your radar signal to be bounced back to your
radar. The metal mast and rigging may not obscure your radar display
(an empty "shadow area"), but some of that energy will be bounced right
back and can either cause interference or even damage to your radar's
receiver. All the more reason not to use a 4 kw system.

Unless his ketch is very long indeed, any echo energy from the mast
will arrive and depart while the antenna is closed.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:22:32 GMT, Me wrote:

In article ,
renewontime dot com wrote:

Higher power doesn't
"burn" through anything, including fog,

Bzzzzt, wrong answer Dude, would you like to try for what is behind
Door #3??????

When was the last time, you measured Water Adsorption at 10Ghz?
Obviously, not in the last 50 years, since Xband has come into
Marine Radar use. Water Adsoption is a Significant cause of loss of
Targets, when the humidity of the air between the transmitter

Perhaps you mean 'absorption?' 'Adsorption is hardly possible for rf.

and target is high. 4Kw PPP wil certainly "Burn thru" more
humid air than 2Kw PPP. One must also consider, that heavy rain,
like in squalls, will also tend to drop the siganl level of received
targets in the Xband, due to defraction of the RF by the rain droplets.

These, and other KNOWN, physical elements all play a part in
Maximum Detection Distance of a target in Marine Radar Systems.

Me one who deals with this stuff every day......

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?
Larry W4CSC

Jeff Morris wrote in
:

I've had minor second thoughts on this after checking the specs. In the
"old days" more powerful domes were heavier and used more power - that
is not the case now - the 4kW Raymarine dome only weighs a few pounds
more and uses 1 or 2 Watts more juice.

Pot metal and plastic is much lighter, which is what the Raymarine is made
from. They'll replace it when the pot metal consumes itself from the
condensation of breathing in and out through the drain tube makes it rain
inside the dome, though. We're on our third...(sigh)

The communications on the RL70CRC also failed, which explains why we
couldn't get the Seatalk Gyro/Compass to ever calibrate properly, no matter
how many times we turned it slowly. They fixed that, too, but I don't
think it was ever working right in the first place.

Isn't it amazing how 2,000 watts of peak RF power just appears from thin
air for only 1-2 watts more DC? Magic? Divine intervention? Maybe its
the printer stepper motor that turns the rubber band that drives the PC
board antenna array...??

I'm still not sure of the value for long distance viewing, but the high
power dome will have finer resolution, so that a pair of channel buoys
will be resolved as two targets further away with the more powerful
unit. Navigation is easier, since coastlines will more closely resemble
the chart. However, this takes a lot of practice and you're better off
relying on a good gps.

Ah, but you have another problem in the fog. The higher the antenna, the
further away the target will disappear as the target approaches the boat!
You won't see the bouy 8 miles away with the antenna down low, but you WILL
see the bouy in the fog a LOT closer to the boat as you, hopefully, pass
it.

Traveling at Mach 1, I'd understand having more range. But, traveling at 6
knots I'd rather see that target two boatlengths off the port bow with a
lower-down antenna....wouldn't you?

The downsides of the large unit is almost double the cost (a $1000
premium on the RayMarine list) and a much larger dome (an issue for
those trying to hide the dome from the jib).

I'm tired of changing out pot metal Raymarine antenna pods. There's gotta
be a way to build a $2000 radar transceiver that isn't made out of the same
materials as the window winder in a '97 Ford pickup. The damned chassis
it's all mounted in is made of ZINC!! Idiots.... Look inside for
yourselves! Don't trust me. Unscrew the 4 little flathead screws and take
the top of the dome off. Do it on that boat down the dock and see if it's
wet inside!

Furuno? Anyone had water destroy a Furuno radar dome??

Larry W4CSC

rhys wrote in
:

Agreed, and I know what you are getting at. But if seas are flat, wind
is calm, and you are on a misty seaway at dusk/dawn motoring at five
knots under autopilot, I can see where a trawler or small frieghter
doing the same on a reciprocal course would be nearly invisible to you
simply due to the fact that your radar's proximity alarm or "range
guard" or whatever they call it would not go off until the ship on the
collision course was on top of you...solely due to the mizzen
placement.

If the radar antenna were a point source of RF out and back, this might be
true. But, it's not a flashlight. The flat panel PC board planar array of
the 2KW Raymarine dome is about 2' wide. The whole panel radiates and
receives RF, so it's like having a set of "eyes" on the mizzen that are 2'
apart. Could you see around the mainmast to all targets, the mainmast
being 20' away from you with this "eye" arrangement? Yes, it works, even
on small bouys 3 miles away. I've swung the boat through each degree very
slowly to see if the bouy I could see off to the side had a blind spot dead
ahead. It didn't. The panel isn't a point source like a flashlight. It's
more like a 2' diameter floodlight shining past the mast, illuminating the
target dead ahead, but probably with some loss of efficiency.

Larry W4CSC

rhys wrote in
:

Now, if I can just figure out how to put a windvane AND davits behind
a mizzen mast....G

R.

B&G Pilot has "wind mode" to track the wind with the autopilot. Works
great in that mode, too.

No cure for the davits if your mizzen boom is too low.....

otnmbrd

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

Ah, but you have another problem in the fog. The higher the antenna, the
further away the target will disappear as the target approaches the boat!
You won't see the bouy 8 miles away with the antenna down low, but you
WILL
see the bouy in the fog a LOT closer to the boat as you, hopefully, pass
it.

Traveling at Mach 1, I'd understand having more range. But, traveling at
6
knots I'd rather see that target two boatlengths off the port bow with a
lower-down antenna....wouldn't you?

I have to wonder how serious a problem this really is.
For instance, if I can run between two buoys spaced 300' with a scanner
that's over 100' in the air and watch them pass down my side, how much
difference can there be with a small boat and a scanner placed 30' up,
unless you are totally crowding the buoy to one side (not good).
Also, by that point, if you lose sight of the buoy, you should have all
ready changed your concentration to some new point or reference, ahead.

otn

rhys

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:44:49 GMT, Larry W4CSC wrote:

Furuno? Anyone had water destroy a Furuno radar dome??

OK, crap construction drives me nuts, particularly when it's something
(like a radar) which MUST spend its working life out in the elements.

Assuming the radar itself isn't absolute crap...like that "Mars Bar"
radar the Brits made 25 years ago, say...what is *your* radar of
choice for durability? 'Cause once I go up the mast, I don't want
anything short of a hurricane to cause damage to that radome...

My buddy swears by his old Kodan CRT unit, but he's got a big ketch
and more room and power than most people to play with. The thing is a
toaster-sized box bolted to his coaming, and it takes skill to use it,
but if you can learn that skill, it's accurate as hell.

R.
rhys

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:38:03 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

Does that sum it up?

Yup. After sailing a sistership with the radar mounted high on the
mast, I mounted mine below the baby stay, and never regretted it.

Good. Thanks. One day I hope to use this information wisely.

Reason I'm asking is that steel ketches look good to me on a number of
levels.

Now, if I can just figure out how to put a windvane AND davits behind
a mizzen mast....G

The windvane should go high on the mizzen, as on my friends boat:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Moonshadow/Pg22.jpg

Note that the davits are behind, and also serve as a good place for
solar panels.

Agreed, but I didn't mean windvane as in wind generator, but as in
"mechanical self-steering" like this: http://www.voyagerwindvanes.com/

I can't determine how THAT would work on a ketch, with or without
davits.

R.

sailing sim; need opinions billy General 5 January 9th 07 04:24 AM
Orion 27 Opinions? Maynard G. Krebbs Cruising 2 September 15th 04 08:14 PM
Opinions on P&H Orca??? bub Touring 6 July 11th 04 12:52 PM
West System v SP System resins - opinions wanted peter lowe Boat Building 4 May 3rd 04 12:50 AM
sailing sim; need opinions billy ASA 2 October 16th 03 05:05 PM