Maynard G. Krebbs

Default Orion 27 Opinions?

I'm looking for opinions on the Pacific Seacraft Orion 27.

It looks like a solid little craft but I havent seen any in person.
(I'm in Kansas. LOL)

I want to spend a lot of time at sea but need/want to keep upkeep
costs small so I prefer a smaller boat. I really like the Pacific
Seacraft Dana 24 but it's a cult boat and very expensive so that's
out. Besides the Dana doesn't have a quarter-berth like the Orion.
)

OK, enough rambling. Any opinions welcome. Fire away, I've got my
flame-proof suit on. )

Mark E. Williams
David&Joan

Mark:

I used to sell Pacific Seacrafts when I lived in Annapolis a year ago and
have seen a few examples. They are a solid little blue water capable pocket
cruiser. As you note, they aren't as expensive as the Dana as they don't
have the cache. But they are as well built as any Pacific Seacraft.

David

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions on the Pacific Seacraft Orion 27.

It looks like a solid little craft but I havent seen any in person.
(I'm in Kansas. LOL)

I want to spend a lot of time at sea but need/want to keep upkeep
costs small so I prefer a smaller boat. I really like the Pacific
Seacraft Dana 24 but it's a cult boat and very expensive so that's
out. Besides the Dana doesn't have a quarter-berth like the Orion.
)

OK, enough rambling. Any opinions welcome. Fire away, I've got my
flame-proof suit on. )

Mark E. Williams

Dick

I'm looking for opinions on the Pacific Seacraft Orion 27.

I like mine. I have had it since 1987 when I bought it new. It sails best in 15
to 20 knot winds in the ocean. In sheltered water with light wind you may want
another boat. It is heavy and stable. The rudder will not get hung up on
fishing nets and you won't bend it if you hit a sleeping manta ray.

Speed is about 5 knots on average but we have done 8 konts surfing down waves
and had fun doing it.

Newer boats have a 3 cylinder Yanmar but still have the twenty gallon tank.
Older boats have a 2 cylinder and twice the range. New boats (MK II) have a
smaller head and more room in the cabin.

Me, my wife, and daughter lived aboard for six years.

You can see mine at members.aol.com/mstarunderway

They are hard to find too. Most of the owners that I have met have had theirs
for a long time. We bought ours new because we could not find a used one.

Dick

sailing sim; need opinions billy General 5 January 9th 07 04:24 AM
Opinions on P&H Orca??? bub Touring 6 July 11th 04 12:52 PM
GPS/Sounder; Garmin or Lowrance - Opinions? I Boater Electronics 2 March 21st 04 08:32 AM
sailing sim; need opinions billy ASA 2 October 16th 03 05:05 PM