Grumpy

Default Fibreglass Keel

Hi guys,

Hoping I can get some advice here. I have a 15 Ft fibreglass half cabin,
Yesterday I noticed a puddle on the floor. I found a leak in the hull near
the keel and the fibre was a bit spongy. I ground it out and down and had
water drippin out. I will leave it for a while to dray and would then liek
to do the following.
1 - Fill the gap with kahGlass , fibre-reinforced filler. smooth it down,
fibreglass resin with matting on top, the finally a few coats of flowcoat.

Do you think this will work.

Thanks
Alan

tonyic

Sand it down and use epoxy resin to seal fiberglass. Use Epoxy to glue
Fiberglass. Fiberglass actually does not do a good job bonding to
fiberglass. Also fiberglass or polyster (Bondo like filler) absorb
water osmotically. That is why you get blisters in fiberglass. Epoxy
will also bond under water if necessary just add a little more hardner.
Temperature will affect curing time. Try a little spot first. If
possible I would put boat on land and check underside and repair as
necessary with epoxy also. Check around any through hulls or where
there might be something going through hull. Good luck.

Grumpy wrote:the keel and the fibre was a
Hi guys,the keel and the fibre was a