David Flew

I needed a "temporary" installation of transducer until I could slip the
boat. This with a Lowrance 45 fishhfinder, used in depths less than 25 m,
displacement speeds. We tried various locations on the ransom ( mounting
the transducer on a broomstick and having the display right next to you
makes this easier .. ). No position worked at all speeds due to bubbles.
So we tried right in the bilge, straight through the planking. 1/2" thick,
old kauri, always in the salt water. There is always some water in the
bilges. We could see no difference in echo response between shooting
through the planking and in nice clear water. It's still there a year and
two slippings later.

For dry bilges, I'd try the transducer in a plastic bag of water, on various
parts of the hull, compared with broomstick mount over the side or transom.
In theory it should be better directly in the water, but it ain't
necessarily so.
DF

"okey dokey" wrote in message
Hey evan, will this work with wooden hulls too? plywood? lemme know.
its much easier than making a throughhull
-Jason

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:38:22 -0800, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

If this is an older Nicholson 32 with a solid fiberglass hull, consider
using the transducer to shoot through the hull by embedding it in a blob

of
epoxy. One less hole to deal with. You can take the old transducer out

and
fill the old hole at your next haul out.

Evan Gatehouse

wrote:

If this is an older Nicholson 32 with a solid fiberglass hull, consider
using the transducer to shoot through the hull by embedding it in a blob

of
epoxy. One less hole to deal with. You can take the old transducer out

and
fill the old hole at your next haul out.

No it won't work with plywood or other wood.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)