David Edney

Default Depth sounder transducer

I have just purchased a new depth sounder (NAVMAN) for my Nicholson 32 and
the through hull transducer is a smaller diameter than the one I wish to
replace, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to do this.

Thanks
David Edney

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Explorer Updates, Windows Updates, Free Virus Scanner, Free

Evan Gatehouse

"David Edney" wrote in message
I have just purchased a new depth sounder (NAVMAN) for my Nicholson 32 and
the through hull transducer is a smaller diameter than the one I wish to
replace, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to do this.

Thanks
David Edney

If this is an older Nicholson 32 with a solid fiberglass hull, consider
using the transducer to shoot through the hull by embedding it in a blob of
epoxy. One less hole to deal with. You can take the old transducer out and
fill the old hole at your next haul out.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:43:26 +1100, "David Edney"
wrote:

I have just purchased a new depth sounder (NAVMAN) for my Nicholson 32 and
the through hull transducer is a smaller diameter than the one I wish to
replace, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to do this.

Thanks
David Edney

You have two choices fill the old aperture completely,
and 1) bore this plug for the new diameter.
or 2) Bore a fresh hull position.

Either way can be made to work.

Brian W
rhys

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:38:22 -0800, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

If this is an older Nicholson 32 with a solid fiberglass hull, consider
using the transducer to shoot through the hull by embedding it in a blob of
epoxy. One less hole to deal with. You can take the old transducer out and
fill the old hole at your next haul out.

I did this with the so-called "hockey puck" transducer and bedded it
in Sikaflex a short distance forward of the keel. I thus avoided
another hole and the results are great. I caculate the waterline/keel
offset at two feet and set the depth alarms accordingly. I use a
cheapo Eagle fish finder and lead line sounds confirm that it's
accurate to 100 feet within a foot or so.

That's all I need here, and if the "marine" units with simple
numerical readouts weren't more expensive than the "sportsman"
fishfinders (which can with tweaking reveal bottom conditions, charted
wrecks and so on..try it sometime), I would have gone with that.

You will have to experiment to find the "sweet spot" that gives an
accurate reading with a "through-the-hull" transducer, and you may
have to factor in the slight angle element of the rise to the bow
(giving you a marginally forward-looking sounder...not necessarily a
bad thing...).

You may require a longer cord, too.

R.

Courtney Thomas

Evan, what is recommended as the preferable technique for transducer
embedding ?

Thank you,
Courtney

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

"David Edney" wrote in message

I have just purchased a new depth sounder (NAVMAN) for my Nicholson 32 and
the through hull transducer is a smaller diameter than the one I wish to
replace, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to do this.

Thanks
David Edney

If this is an older Nicholson 32 with a solid fiberglass hull, consider
using the transducer to shoot through the hull by embedding it in a blob of
epoxy. One less hole to deal with. You can take the old transducer out and
fill the old hole at your next haul out.

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Evan Gatehouse

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Evan, what is recommended as the preferable technique for transducer
embedding ?

Thank you,
Courtney

I've used silicone and epoxy. Had better results with epoxy. My current
boat has a Garmin 120 that is rated to 600' and I reach 800' with it in salt
water. It is shooting through a fairly thin outer fiberglass skin on a foam
cored boat though.

Last boat had a Raytheon 265 that was epoxy glued and got easily 300'+ but
often dropped signal in the muddy Cheseapeake in shallow water.

We also had an Eagle glued with silicone (came with the boat) that worked
o.k. too until the display died.

Garmin recommended epoxy glued.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

rhys

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:31:12 -0800, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

We also had an Eagle glued with silicone (came with the boat) that worked
o.k. too until the display died.

I glued with silicone in case I needed to move it.I have a cheapo
Eagle, too, but it works splendidly for my essentially coastal needs,
and I've confirmed its accuracy with lead line sounds.

Fishfinders are a great alternative to "marine" depthsounders, in my
experience.

R.

Steve Lusardi

David,
You could try a plastic sleeve. If you have access to a lathe, just use a
bar of nylon. Turn the OD to the size of your old xducer and bore it the
size of the new. Simple, mount as before.
Steve

"David Edney" wrote in message
I have just purchased a new depth sounder (NAVMAN) for my Nicholson 32 and
the through hull transducer is a smaller diameter than the one I wish to
replace, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to do this.

Thanks
David Edney

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Explorer Updates, Windows Updates, Free Virus Scanner, Free
Security Software
http://www.microsoft-windows-updates.com

Paul Oman

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Evan, what is recommended as the preferable technique for transducer
embedding ?

I had a boat that come with a plastic bucket with the bottom cut out that was
silicon sealed to the hull. It was filled with water and the transducer placed
in it.

Water evaporated away quickly so I put the transducer in a plastic bag filled
with water and put the bag/water/transducer into the bottomless plastic bucket
glued to the hull......

paul oman