posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
mmc mmc is offline

Default mixing gas and oil questions

"YukonBound" wrote in message

ted@theted. wrote in message
i have a jetski and a boat with an evinrude 115 hp outboard. can
they both use the same gas/oil mix? someone told me it should be
a pint to six gallons but i would rather mix a pint with 5
gallons because it's easier and to be on the safe side if that's
ok. is a pint to 5 gallons ok for both the jetski and the
evinrude?

thanks!

ted

I follow the manual recommendations.
i also dropped into the Vespa scooter store and bought the little plastic
measuring device.
It's great for a 50:1 mix. Saves guess work when out on the high seas.

You take a Vespa out on the high seas Don?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
mmc mmc is offline

"YukonBound" wrote in message

"Rick Morel" wrote in message
My 2-cents.

snip.............
. Heck, I remember one guy that used 12.5-1 (2
qts. in 6 gallons) in his ultralight. Looked like he had a smoke
system!

snip...........
Rick

Got that beat.
My 1954 British Seagull 40 Plus uses 10:1 ratio.
If there's a strong tail wind, I almost choke to death, so I constantly
gybe to keep the blue exhaust smoke on one side or the other.
BTW I don't use that engine much anymore.

Helps to keep the mosquitoes away I'll bet?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

g.com...

ted@theted. wrote in message
i have a jetski and a boat with an evinrude 115 hp outboard. can
they both use the same gas/oil mix? someone told me it should be
a pint to six gallons but i would rather mix a pint with 5
gallons because it's easier and to be on the safe side if that's
ok. is a pint to 5 gallons ok for both the jetski and the
evinrude?

thanks!

ted

I follow the manual recommendations.
i also dropped into the Vespa scooter store and bought the little plastic
measuring device.
It's great for a 50:1 mix. Saves guess work when out on the high seas.

You take a Vespa out on the high seas Don?

Why not... strap a couple of pontoons on the side and engage the marine
drive..............................

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On 10/26/10 10:19 AM, YukonBound wrote:

g.com...

ted@theted. wrote in message
i have a jetski and a boat with an evinrude 115 hp outboard. can
they both use the same gas/oil mix? someone told me it should be
a pint to six gallons but i would rather mix a pint with 5
gallons because it's easier and to be on the safe side if that's
ok. is a pint to 5 gallons ok for both the jetski and the
evinrude?

thanks!

ted

I follow the manual recommendations.
i also dropped into the Vespa scooter store and bought the little
plastic measuring device.
It's great for a 50:1 mix. Saves guess work when out on the high seas.

You take a Vespa out on the high seas Don?

Why not... strap a couple of pontoons on the side and engage the marine
drive..............................

A VespaSki, to be seen in the next Bond move. Don Bond driving, Scarlett
Johannsen in the passenger seat.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Interesting that my comments should have had the group ranting and raving.

Nice, however, to see WH/GH ack their duality, finally, after all the "he's
my roommate" and the like denials.

Meanwhile, inquiring minds still want to know...

Why do outboard manufacturers insist that you run double the oil during
breakin, and under severe operating conditions, if it's likely to blow out
the pistons as liquid aluminum?

Never mind whether or not a certified mechanic can be trusted or whether or
not I selectively read. At least one poster has verified doubling the oil
during breakin so it stands to reason that it MIGHT be possible that the
manual actually says the same about severe operating conditions...

L8R

Skip, chasing his starting issues, still, report to follow

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:54:44 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Never mind whether or not a certified mechanic can be trusted or whether or
not I selectively read. At least one poster has verified doubling the oil
during breakin so it stands to reason that it MIGHT be possible that the
manual actually says the same about severe operating conditions...

I don't think so. That's when you're likely to experience
pre-ignition/detonation due to the lowered self ignition temperature
of the fuel mix.

wrote:

Never mind whether or not a certified mechanic can be trusted or whether
or
not I selectively read. At least one poster has verified doubling the oil
during breakin so it stands to reason that it MIGHT be possible that the
manual actually says the same about severe operating conditions...

I don't think so. That's when you're likely to experience
pre-ignition/detonation due to the lowered self ignition temperature
of the fuel mix.

Duh! Increasing the oil to fuel ratio does not lower the self-ignition
temperature. It raises it. We are not talking diesel engines here. We are
talking two-stroke gasoline engines with their relatively low compression
ratios.

Try running a two-stroke (two-cycle) engine on pure two-stroke oil and they
won't self ignite to combustion EVER! Even a spark plug won't make the thing
fire.

Try running them on half and half gas and oil and they might just barely run
given a source of ignition like a spark plug before it fouls with oil in
about a minute but they won't self-ignite EVER.

Try running them on nothing but gasoline and they will have a much higher
likelihood of self-ignition (aka detonation, knock or ping) for about a
minute before the piston seizes to the cylinder wall.

I hate like hell to say it but SKIPPY IS CORRECT. Increasing the oil to fuel
ratio will not damage the engine from detonation, etc.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
mmc mmc is offline

"YukonBound" wrote in message

g.com...

ted@theted. wrote in message
i have a jetski and a boat with an evinrude 115 hp outboard. can
they both use the same gas/oil mix? someone told me it should be
a pint to six gallons but i would rather mix a pint with 5
gallons because it's easier and to be on the safe side if that's
ok. is a pint to 5 gallons ok for both the jetski and the
evinrude?

thanks!

ted

I follow the manual recommendations.
i also dropped into the Vespa scooter store and bought the little
plastic measuring device.
It's great for a 50:1 mix. Saves guess work when out on the high seas.

You take a Vespa out on the high seas Don?

Why not... strap a couple of pontoons on the side and engage the marine
drive..............................

Haha! Probably gets great milage.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

From Page 8 of the OMC manual for the 15HP, a 1992j model:

To protect your new outboard motor during the intiial hours of operation,
and to seat internal engine components, you MUST (emphasis theirs) add extra
oil during the break-in period.

The fuel/oil ratio for the first 12 gallons must be *25-1* (emphasis
theirs).

The fuel oil ratio during normal operation, after break-in, must be *50-1*
(emphasis theirs).

My 6HP manual in hand is just before they went to 100-1 oil. Note that
this, a 2005 manual, as the dealer didn't have a current one, is for the
normally 50-1 mix engine. My 6 is actually a couple of years later, and the
recommended use is for half of that shown above. As mine was a trade-in, it
didn't happen to have its original manual, explaining why I'm looking at an
older one.

It says, on page 15:

The fuel/oil ratio for the first 10 hours must be *25-1* (emphasis theirs).

The fuel oil ratio during normal operation, after break-in, must be *50-1*
(emphasis theirs).

HOWEVER...

"During high performance opertion you must use a *25-1* fuel/oil ratio in
your fuel tank."

Now, I agree, OMC is a poor source of information about what to use in their
engines for them to warranty them.

But until some more authoratative source presents, I'm going with the
manual.l NOTHING in it suggests, and, quite the contrary, demands its use,
for high performance, that doubling the oil is harmful to the engine.

Indeed, high performance seems to me to be more stressful, and, as such, if
the assertions that too much oil will melt the aluminum, that the
recommendation would be for LESS oil, not doubling it...

L8R

Skip

[...]

Skip,
I think we both speak English. I recommended up front to follow the manufacturer's recommendation, they built the motor. However,
lube oil mixed with gasoline will lower the auto ignition point of the fuel and it is a contributing risk factor for detonation.
You obviously don't believe me, so I invited you to do the research yourself.....you didn't. Instead, you quoted a user manual and
you are still talking trash from a point of no knowledge. What is wrong with this picture?
Steve

From Page 8 of the OMC manual for the 15HP, a 1992j model: